Brand new to Linux need a little help

One easy solution is to create directory called wine on your ssd and then create symbolic link into the wine folder with the ln -s command.

So how do symbolic links actually work ?
I am guessing this will so direct wineprefix to the SSD drive as well ?

I printed out the guide done by @keybreak Linux gaming [Guide]
21 pages 0-o but tbh the other guides I see online are so confusing and contradictory as you have the C drive…then wineprefix then someone says there the same… I don’t want to break anything more XD

2 Likes

@Auron111, on top of that ntfs comes from windows and there are some forbidden characters like *"?<> and filenames like CON PRT. Linux has only one forbidden character /.
edit: forbidden means they cannot be user in the name of the file or folder.

I don’t remember exactly how the paths are but for example lets say your ssd is mounted at /ssd and the wine path is ~/.wine/C_Drive

You can do this:

mkdir /ssd/wine
ln -s /ssd/wine ~/.wine/C_Drive/ssd

Once you do that anything you put in ~/.wine/C_Drive/ssd will really be stored on your SSD.

Basically, the same directory can be connected in the filesystem in more than one place.

I would say it is not exactly like that. Wine creates a directory ~/.wine. Not a drive. Linux does not operate with the concept of drives like windows (c:, d:, …).

Under this directory you can find all configs for that one wine prefix and additional libraries.

You can specify a different path for wine with WINEPREFIX shell variable - e.g. WINEPREFIX=/ssd winecfg will create a new wine structure in /ssd directory. If you do it you will have to always define WINEPREFIX like when running any wine software - e.g. WINEPREFIX=/ssd wine virus.exe. Or put export WINEPREFIX=/ssd in your .bashrc if you use only one prefix.
This is very handy if you have multiple instances of wine each for a different software (32 vs 64-bit, different directx, different dlls).

Since linux works with directories and not drives you do not have to install software in the ~/.wine/drive_c but you can chose a totaly different location - e.g. /ssd/games/. Usually root / is listed under wine as drive z: if you are looking at the paths directly from running windows application (so z:/ssd/games). But you can run anything like WINEPREFIX=/ssd/games/.wine wine /ssd/games/not_in_wine/virus.exe.
It is just more practical to have everything installed under wine’s ~/.wine (or other WINEPREFIX) when you need to do a cleanup. :grin:

Also for a security reason I usually disable drive z:. I do not want windows software access any file outside its dedicated ~/.wine directory (probably a weak security attempt but why tempt the fate :wink:).

Did I make it confusing enough? :crazy_face: :face_with_head_bandage:

@vlkon Very confusing :laughing:
Since I will be using Lutris to install my games, it installs a new wineprefix (I think) for each game I install in /home/[user]/Games/ …can’t I just change an option in Lutris to install them in my SSD to ?

What you say makes sense. I’m just finding this out using wine (play on linux variant). Drives and Directories can be confusing, it had me going for a while! I think I’ve got them sussed now and things are working together. I prefer the Unix way of things, it makes more sense to me but now I have Photoshop as well as Gimp so I am happy with both. Don’t get me started on one vs the other, they are both good.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.