Booting Multiple OSes Headaches

Hi all,

1. I have EOS installed on an NVMe disk with EFI and no grub.
  2. Then I installed Windows 10 on a SATA disk, and it automatically used EOS’s EFI partition on the NVMe disk
    = EOS can see Windows if I boot EOS’ disk from BIOS
    = WIndows doesn’t see EOS if I boot it from BIOS
  3. Then I installed MX-Linux on a third (SSD) disk with its own EFI partition and grub
    = MX-Linux grub only sees Windows but not EOS. Os-prober and update-grub don’t find anything else.

So, how can I clean this mess and have EOS, which will fire up first in sequence from BIOS, see and boot BOTH Windows 10 and MX-Linux? EOS is my primary system.

(And is it normal for Windows to “steal” EOS’ EFI and lodge itself there?)

(And yes, I used rEFInd but I didn’t like it and removed it)

Thank you for the advice!

Change MX-LInux to use the same EFI partition as EOS & Windows and then you can easily chainload it.

Yes. Rather that steal, they are sharing.

1 Like

Thanks, dalto, that’s an interesting concept (and new to me).

Any pointer on how to have MX-Linux share that EFI partition on EOS?

But let’s say all three disks/systems are chainloaded to one EFI partition and that partition fails, won’t the other OSes become unavailable?

• Boot into mx-linux.
  • Change /etc/fstab to use the other EFI partition
  • umount /boot/efi
  • mount /boot/efi
  • Call grub-install with appropriate options for mx-linux

Yes. Although, I don’t think EFI partitions fail regurlarly :slight_smile:

However, if you lost that entire disk, you would need to chroot into your remaining distro(s) and follow steps similar to the above.

1 Like

OK, that’s great, thanks for the steps.

Much appreciated! :+1:

1 Like

Hi again dalto, could you be more specific about changing fstab to use the other EFI partition? I’ve googled and, to be honest, I’m confused about how to do this… :slight_smile:
Thanks!

Do an lsblk -f from your MX installation to get the necessary UUIDs for your partitions (perhaps save the output to a text file), then look into the ArchWiki on fstab

1 Like

Thanks, Ivanhoe, will do that.