Boot screen stuck on /dev/nvme0n1p5: clean, */* files, */* blocks

**My boot screen is stuck on /dev/nvme0n1p5: clean, / files, / blocks after a crash **

My PC crashed today shortly after an update. I got a green screen (I get them every now and then because of some defect that my specific GPU model has) and rebooted my system. It always boots normally afterwards but now it’s stuck at this screen (pics below) and I have absolutely no idea how to fix this. I’d appreciate any help, I really don’t want to do a fresh install because I have important files.

I’m using KDE and AMD drivers. I believe that the drivers may have been corrupted during the update because i can’t “startx” in the TTY terminal. I’ve also tried updating my system in the TTY terminal too.

Thanks again. :slightly_smiling_face:

What happens when you try to update from a TTY?

Typing sudo pacman -Syu just updates the system normally. No errors, nothing.

I see an error with flatpak above?

That’s right, I have no idea what it’s about.

I have no idea either. I don’t know what you have installed on the computer? Do you have flatpak installed? What does this show?

pacman -Qo /usr/lib/libXau.so.6

I do have flatpak installed, I run some flatpak packages. Also that’s what the terminal shows after typing the command.

I’m not sure what to suggest at this point. :thinking:

Edit: Not sure if booting on the live ISO and arch-chroot and then update would make any difference?

When you log in from TTY, you could edit /etc/default/grub and remove quiet from GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line and update Grub. Reboot and see if you get some more boot messages and where in the process the booting gets stuck.

Edit:

Alternatively, in Grub boot menu, press e and remove quiet from boot parameters. Press Ctrl-x to boot.

libXau.so.6 is provided by the package libxau which is required by flatpak:

Name            : libxau
Version         : 1.0.9-4
Description     : X11 authorisation library
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://xorg.freedesktop.org/
Licenses        : custom
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : glibc
Optional Deps   : None
Required By     : flatpak  libgtop  libxcb
Optional For    : mtools
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 21.18 KiB
Packager        : Andreas Radke <andyrtr@archlinux.org>
Build Date      : Sat 21 May 2022 10:34:22 PM CEST
Install Date    : Sun 22 May 2022 01:49:13 AM CEST
Install Reason  : Installed as a dependency for another package
Install Script  : No
Validated By    : Signature
pacman -Ql libxau 
libxau /usr/
libxau /usr/include/
libxau /usr/include/X11/
libxau /usr/include/X11/Xauth.h
libxau /usr/lib/
libxau /usr/lib/libXau.so
libxau /usr/lib/libXau.so.6
libxau /usr/lib/libXau.so.6.0.0
libxau /usr/lib/pkgconfig/
libxau /usr/lib/pkgconfig/xau.pc
libxau /usr/share/
libxau /usr/share/licenses/
libxau /usr/share/licenses/libxau/
libxau /usr/share/licenses/libxau/COPYING
libxau /usr/share/man/
libxau /usr/share/man/man3/
libxau /usr/share/man/man3/Xau.3.gz
libxau /usr/share/man/man3/XauDisposeAuth.3.gz
libxau /usr/share/man/man3/XauFileName.3.gz
libxau /usr/share/man/man3/XauGetAuthByAddr.3.gz
libxau /usr/share/man/man3/XauGetBestAuthByAddr.3.gz
libxau /usr/share/man/man3/XauLockAuth.3.gz
libxau /usr/share/man/man3/XauReadAuth.3.gz
libxau /usr/share/man/man3/XauUnlockAuth.3.gz
libxau /usr/share/man/man3/XauWriteAuth.3.gz
/usr/lib/libXau.so
/usr/lib/libXau.so.6

are symbolic links pointing to /usr/lib/libXau.so.6.0.0. Perhaps they are broken somehow on your system.

Try reinstalling libxau and see if it resolves the issue. If that is the only one.

1 Like

I was going to suggest that but I didn’t want to go off on a flatpak adventure! :laughing:

Reinstalling libxau displays this:

1 Like

Sudo -Rsn libxau? If not then remove everything regarding that by searching for it’s files. I use Angrysearch for that but Catfish might work. Strip the lot, update and start again.

Sudo -Rsn libxau displays “you are not permitted to use the -R option with libxau”

What happens if you force install it? :thinking:

sudo pacman -Sf libxau

Sorry there should be a space between sudo and -Rsn. If not you could try logging out and logging back in as root,then doing it although I’m not sure this is a good idea, I would wait to hear others ideas about this.

Also although -Rsn may remove the system files it will not remove anything within your home folder. You need to delete anything related to them.

error: Invalid option ‘-f’

Is it possible to save a copy of my files to a USB? I’m thinking of just doing a fresh install if there really is nothing to do :confused:

To save your own files you will need to do a backup. To get a list of installed packages you can do pacman -Qe. That should dump a list in your home folder if I remember rightly. Perhaps @ricklinux can confirm this for me. A reinstall should be the last option though. You learn more if you can find a solution without doing that! :grin: