Bloody Apple iMac....LOL

A while ago I installed arch on a old 2012 ungraded iMac.
Sorted the wifi and lan driver by using a usb wifi dongle until I got it installed and up and running.
No problems its running sweet at this time. " Me and my big mouth" .
Yesterday I updated the kernel and low and behold the flaming network is not recognized any more in fact it scrapped the mac network adapters all together. LOL
Dongle in works perfect. I uninstalled the LTS kernel and bingo wifi was back.
Then the system decided to do a freeze. ( Always happens when you cant be bothered ).
You know when you just know your going to have a headache , hahahaha. So I got the trusty pen drive with EOS on it. I was not prepared to play any longer. hahaha
I installed EOS in it, picked up all network and everything else no problem.
Made the install a breeze.
The developers of EOS have the right idea covering all the network issues and making it simple.
So sorry lads I am now an Arch user on one set up and Endevour)S on another.
( Got no issues at all about having EOS on my main everyday.
Hardly any difference to be honest now I have them identical with desktops and software.
Although Arch is easy to install and use EOS makes it easier again.
Thanks lads your distro saved my day and rectified the problems quickly.

Thanks again.

3 Likes

Very reliable system that is compiled very nicely to give any person a great experience.
Its even that easy I suggest it becomes categorized as a good distro for newcomers to linux.
I will make a donation to this distro as I believe it nearly perfect in today’s OS market and that includes windaz and mac.
Well done and Thanks again

3 Likes

Agreed! Installing Endeavour on MacBooks of that era was a really easy experience, especially with Wi-Fi support. My partner has been using it with a 2012 MacBook Pro after using Linux Mint. It’s been running great on my 2008, too :smiley:

1 Like

Arch or any arch based distro run nice on most old Macs.
iMac is a pain ! alway have been ( look good but that about it )

my 2011 macbook pro run same install of arch for near 4 year now … zero problem , also have 2015 Macbook air that install over year and my day carry is M2 Air that have few VM install of Arch , Endeavouros all near year old + Debian,NixOs . Asahi still no there for me yet ( plus no want Fedora ) so i will wait see what happen in future

1 Like

Nice one though mate I admire your liking for linux.
Its just such a shame why the general public are brainwashed into MS W and MAC osx .
People are missing out on loads if they only tried Linux and especially EOS as its a walk in the park.
Just as easy as Mint, Ubuntu, Kali, Manjaro, MX, openSUSE , the list goes on. I have tried a few.
Arch based is the way but for preference I say “Manjaro is not the same” ( Its very bloated ) and is a poor example of an arch spin off. IMO .

sheep will be sheep… linux no need them , what linux need focus on is schools ( the young are future) MS and Apple understand this .

No comment :wink: :innocent:

EDit … People will find linux when they ready and willing …

1 Like

LOL Forgive me please
I will chuck another spanner syy in the works.
I will say no more syy/syu

yes to install … keep it run/stable another story! as many find out :wink:

Honestly I have read through many scripts that compile arch and EOS, as far as I can see it will be user error that “makes” things break.
I will say this with respect !
I think people read too much into an arch based distro or even arch itself, there seems to be a taboo factor making it sound like a dark art or only for advanced users.
realistically its easy and a good entry level distro.
If people are worried, until you get a full grip of the distros install " yay -S pamac-aur."
Once you find out you do not need it simply uninstall it replacing -S with -R
All the command line / terminal stuff is pretty easy and becomes second nature, most people actually get to like it after seeing its power.
The commands are easy and you start remembering them just like your phone number after a short while.

No.

I would say it depend on who it is installed for

User opinions will differ mate.
I have a brand new out the box linux user fluently using EOS with no issues or breakages.
Got as much chance breaking linux mint as breaking arch.
Its only hard because people who use it say it is and in reality its those people who would struggle with ubuntu.
Its a walk in the park. If someone shows you and explains in plain laymens terms instead of saying
“read the F***ing wiki manual” LOL

1 Like

@Shjim summed it up perfectly:

Arch is DIY, and while these “easy Arch install” distors and scripts make it easy and fast to get running, maintenance requires a combination of a fair amount of Linux experience/knowledge and/or RTFMing - without this, most Linux beginners trying to use Arch or an Arch-based distor are doomed to either fail or become help vampires, unable to keep their installations running without regular help from others.

You can disagree all you want, but that’s the truth.

1 Like

Same applies to every OS out there inc MS and Mac stuff.

There is a difference in degrees of involvement.

1 Like

Lets use a scenario.
I install EOS or arch on a computer for a linux user thats just came from MS.
I ask them what software is a must and what they might need in the future.
I put all the stuff in arch and give them some simple commands to learn.
sudo pacman -Syu - sudo pacman -Sy and install Package manager pamac in advance.
Realistically they only will use the installed graphical software I have put in their menu and the package manager incase they want to play a bit.
I think that’s min involvement from the user and if they want to know anything else just ask.
Basically the same as windaz , mac, mint or EOS.

How about stuff like this:

https://archlinux.org/news/xorg-cleanup-requires-manual-intervention/

https://archlinux.org/news/keycloak-1701-2-update-requires-manual-reconfiguration/

https://archlinux.org/news/openblas-0323-2-update-requires-manual-intervention/

Or how about the time a few years ago when an update brought a pacnew file for /etc/pam.d/system-login which, if not merged, left users unable to boot into their system? IIRC there wasn’t an annoucement for that on the Arch News page, and there shouldn’t have been - Arch users are expected to pay attention to pacman output, and take care of pacnew files promptly. It’s in the manual, you know, the manual that most noobs don’t bother reading:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave

These files require manual intervention from the user and it is good practice to handle them right after every package upgrade or removal. If left unhandled, improper configurations can result in improper function of the software or the software being unable to run altogether.

But hey, go on, do whatever the hell you want. Recommend whatever you want to noobs. But you’re not doing them favors.

Don’t bother replying directly to me, I’m done with this.

1 Like

LOL nothing like a bit light heated discussion.
Dont make it harder than it is.
Don’t bother replying I am going to the toilet. hahahaha

That was my point. ( install is the easy part )

All i say on matter is . " I look forward reading your helping hand posts + read your how to posts "

i truly hope you enjoy Arch and Endeavouros experience…

1 Like