BlendOS - A seamless blend of all Linux distributions?

Technically possible but if its like Silverblue its more involved/complicated

So youā€™re saying one canā€™t manually partition to get the size they want? How about BTRFS? No reason for a Linux OS this day and age to use EXT4 on the OS drive.

Unfortunately not everyone thinks like you. Also with A/B system you have 2 root partitions no matter what, repartitioning wouldnā€™t fully claim the space.

I personally donā€™t like the the containerized nature. I find this way too slow among other things. Not for me. :man_shrugging:

I donā€™t get the point of immutablity when I can achieve a similar outcome with BTRFS snapshots.

1 Like

Me either and my btrfs is extremely fast, reliable and no issues.

3 Likes

There is no ā€œstealā€ in open source lol

Never say that :frog:
If you look the video, you will see that its more a non-crediting problem than a steal. Also this video confirm (for me atleast) that they use Distrobox in the backend.

edit: Also, the conclusion is great.

2 Likes

:laughing: and now that the Knome guy video got invoqued things are going to become funny :grin:

2 Likes

Immutable distros are probably easier for casual users than dealing with BTEFS snapshots.

SteamOS is a good example

1 Like

You bet they will!
:speech_balloon:

2 Likes

With flatpak going strong, its a great combo :yum:

1 Like

Iā€™m not fond of their installer. I have 2 M.2ā€™s. 1 with Garuda and Arch on it with free space on the end of it. The 2nd one as CachyOS using the entire drive. I go launch blendOSā€™s installer and not one of the options listed when I get to partitions is the free space on the main M.2. Then you have the general layout of the installer, just awful in my book.

1 Like

SteamOS is good because of the software-hardware integration, not because of immutablity. You can find people taking extreme measures, especially on the 64 GiB model to save space like converting the filesystem to BTRFS. SteamOS could have used preconfigured BTRFS snapshots, a read-only file system to avoid breakages and updates using file sets. SteamOS has like 3-5 different branches, all updating seperately. The ability of having more than 2 root filesystems would make testing easier by allowing switching between branches and versions of branches

2 Likes

While an interesting concept it is not for me. Iā€™m more than happy with Endeavour and see no reason to change.

2 Likes

A lot of PKGBUILD files pull in other packing formats (typically Debian from what Iā€™ve seen) as long as the file includes what the OS needs to know to install it. I guess trying to do something like this was inevitable but, maybe, not necessary?

1 Like

Itā€™s ā€¦ not my thing! Pass on both. Iā€™ll stick to EndeavourOS and AUR and KDE! :laughing:

3 Likes

maybe it just keeps rolling in place, like not moving anywhereā€¦ (that wasnā€™t very funny I know)

Like spinning your wheels?