Blank Screen right after new update

Okay, doing that now.
In the MODULES area, it’s the line with no hashtag already right? It looks like this

#MODULES=(piix ide_disk reiserfs)
MODULES=""

I put what you showed me in between the quotation marks right?

Yes… That is correct.

1 Like

Still a black screen after the grub menu…

Well we tried some things and it’s not all wasted because you have learned to move around, make changes to some configuration files, chroot into an installed system and so on. It will be immensely helpful for you later on.

Edit: Sorry nothing works…with this kernel and hardware that i can think of. Like i say I’m no expert just trying to help.

1 Like

True. Seriously thanks for the help though you spent alot of time when you didn’t have to. You and Joe. I’m probably going to wait for a kernel upgrade then hope that the upgrade fixed whatever was wrong with my system in the first place.Thanks rick and joe!

2 Likes

Is this the same as Can’t boot in to the system after kernel 5.12.1 and Eos update ?

Does linux-lts work?

It sounds like it is related; I’ve found other reports of the same thing. Linux-lts is 5.10 so it should work just fine if 5.11 was working. here is a bug report https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/70726. Some solutions are suggested there; if you haven’t already, you might want to try the nomodeset parameter. also from that thread, this patch to the kernel fixes it: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm-tip/patch/?id=acca7762eb71bc05a8f28d29320d193150051f79

a patch release will probably fix this soon, until then, linux-lts is probably the best option.

3 Likes

@alterlinux1234
Maybe you want to try this installing the lts kernel. Just chroot back into the system with the live ISO and run the following.

sudo pacman -S linux-lts linux-lts-headers

Give it a go and see if it works.

1 Like

Hey Rick, sorry I responded late. Yeah I did that and am using the downgraded kernel. Hopefully they will update the kernel soon. Thanks again!

edit: I did the arch-chroot stuff you told me to do, then sudo pacman -S linux-lts and sudo pacman -S linux-lts-headers. It worked. I guess we will wait for the updated Kernel then.

You can do both in the same instance as i wrote it. But doesn’t matter. You just needed the headers installed before you booted up into it. I myself haven’t had any issues with the current kernels but i don’t have hybrid graphics.

Edit: Glad it’s working for you.
Edit2: You might as well mark the above as solved then.

1 Like

Hey @ricklinux,
I saw the above post and did what you showed. that’s what I meant when I downgraded. I installed both the headers and the kernel itself as LTS. I’ll wait for a new kernel update that fixes the problem before I switch away from the LTS version. Thanks for all the help rick and joe! I will definitally not get a hybrid graphics system next computer I get also…

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.