Black screen with unmovable mouse after login

I was trying to get my arch (EndeavourOS) laptop to use the discrete graphics card instead of the CPU GPU. Here’s what I remember doing before rebooting my laptop only to find out that I messed something up:
I first “sudo pacman -Syyu” then I installed nvidia, then nvidia-utils, and nvidia-settings. I installed xorg-xrandr, then did nvidia-xconfig. That’s about all I did that I remember. Trying to debug the problem I uninstalled (“pacman -Rc” via tty) nvidia, nvidia-utils, and nvidia-settings. But all that did was make the login screen loop even though I entered the username and password correct. I have now reinstalled all the nvidia stuff and now its back to title.
Please help. Is there anyway I can recover from this?
And if there’s no recovering from this, can I reset my OS while keeping my personal files untouched?

Hardware and kernel specifications:
Kernel: 5.11.7-arch1-1 x86_64
CPU: Intel core i7-4700HQ
Integrated graphics: Intel 4th gen core processor integrated graphics
Discrete graphics: NVIDIA GK107M [GeForce GT 750M]
Currently installed nvidia driver: 460.56

UPDATE: I tried doing the " Force early load (KMS)" from the troubleshooting section of EndeavourOS Nvidia documentation and now my screen is stuck showing one single “_” after boot.

welcome! :grin:

just to check, what is your hardware?

inxi -Fxxc0z --no-host

which kernel(s) are you running, installed any lts? Did you check the steps and comments about nvidia driver in the eos wiki? there is a nvidia-dkms version.

I also recommend reading the forum, upper right there is a search function, maybe you find a solution that helps. Have seen many nvidia troubleshooting.

It is getting late, someone with more knowledge on this will likely be able to help with this info.

I would try this from the wiki link above.

——————————————-
Install Nvidia proprietary drivers

test run for installation (will do i dry run without any changes to the system)

nvidia-installer-dkms -t

if it does not put out error run real install:

sudo nvidia-installer-dkms

this will install Nvidia proprietary drivers and do some configuration inside /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

sudo systemctl reboot

And you are on Nvidia drivers!

1 Like

Thanks!

what is your hardware?

Kernel: 5.11.7-arch1-1 x86_64
CPU: Intel core i7-4700HQ
Integrated graphics: Intel 4th gen core processor integrated graphics
Discrete graphics: NVIDIA GK107M [GeForce GT 750M]

Did you check the steps and comments about nvidia driver in the eos wiki?

Oh… yeah… the EOS wiki. Stupidly enough, I never checked the eos wiki. Everything I did was based on the arch wiki.

I tried nvidia-installer-dkms -t, I got:

nvidia-installer-update-db: warning: The nvidia.com site driver version is 460.67, pacman version is 460.56.
nvidia-installer-update-db: error: cannot fetch latest NVIDIA ids
2021-03-19 10:02:03 [WARNING]: Cannot create Nvidia cards database in /tmp
2021-03-19 10:02:03 [ERROR]: Couldn't find a driver suitable for your graphics card.
2021-03-19 10:02:03 [ERROR]: If you have an older nvidia card you may use the --force option to install nvidia-dkms and follow further instructions.

can you post output of

inxi -G

systemctl status optimus-manager.service

systemctl status bumblebee.service

which tells us which graphics driver is installed and which service is running in case you installed for hybrid card optimus or bumblebee.

put your code input and output in ˋˋˋ brackets so it displays as codeblock here in the forum.

no worries, arch wiki is great, but eos made this script to help with nvidia install. I generally install my nvidia driver when installing via usb stick eos in the non free driver mode. but it can also be done via the steps shown above.

inxi -G
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: NVIDIA GK107M [GeForce GT 750M] driver: nvidia v: 460.56
Device-3: IMC Networks USB2.0 UVC HD Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo
Display: server: X.org 1.20.10 driver: loaded: nvidia tty: 240x67
Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing.
systemctl status optimus-manager.service
Unit optimus-manager.service could not be found.
systemctl status bumblebee.service
Unit bumblebee.service could not be found.

ok, looks like you have a 460.56 driver installed. I am not familiar with your gpu but I would try deinstalling the nvidia driver in tty and then try again

nvidia-installer-dkms -t

if it works you can follow through with installation and starting the most recent driver. if not I suggest to wait, we have a couple of people in this forum who can better help you further.

just fyi, I see that you have no optimus or bumblebee, I use neither, only gives me trouble.

How do I uninstall the driver?

I suggest try

sudo pacman -Rs nvidia

To check that your card is supported by the nvidia driver, please show the output of command

lspci -vnn | grep -P ’VGA|3D|Display’

Sure.

lspci -vnn | grep -P ’VGA|3D|Display’
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0416] (rev 06) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
01:00.0 3D controller [0302]: NVIDIA Corporation GK107M [GeForce GT 750M] (10de:0fe4) (rev a1)

Tried it, got this again:

nvidia-installer-update-db: warning: The nvidia.com site driver version is 460.67, pacman version is 460.56.
nvidia-installer-update-db: error: cannot fetch latest NVIDIA ids
2021-03-19 10:02:03 [WARNING]: Cannot create Nvidia cards database in /tmp
2021-03-19 10:02:03 [ERROR]: Couldn't find a driver suitable for your graphics card.
2021-03-19 10:02:03 [ERROR]: If you have an older nvidia card you may use the --force option to install nvidia-dkms and follow further instructions.

Sorry it is still not working! Can you please post again inxi -G to make sure nvidia is deinstalled properly.

Edit: seems you still have nvidia 460.67

We need to check wether you card is compatible with the recent nvidia drivers, I will mention @ricklinux who is knowledgable in this I believe, and might pop in here at some point.

Also did you disable secure and fast boot in your bios?

@opara
Can you try the following.

nvidia-installer-check 

Edit: Post the output. Not sure if you need sudo?

Did you disable secure and fast boot?

Disabled fast boot, didn’t see an option for secure boot. Doing so didn’t change anything.

Could you post the link to this

inxi -Fxxxz --no-host | eos-sendlog

Don’t know if you’ve read the update in the OP or not but the only thing I can access right now is the grub CLI (by pressing ‘e’ during boot). Shouldn’t have messed with mkinitcpio.conf, damn it. Sorry but I guess we have to first fix that before anything else, if it is at all fixable…

For the above command you could boot on the live ISO and do that. Then you could arch-chroot into it and fix it.

Edit: Just wanted to look at the hardware. Is this a laptop? Make & model as maybe i can look up the secure boot settings.