Bitwarden moved from the AUR to Community Repos Question

Greetings lovely community,

I made a post regarding a Bitwarden AUR build question I had barely two weeks ago (seen here) and today I wake up to check for some updates and I see there’s a new Bitwarden update! Only difference is it’s not from the AUR, it’s from the Arch Community repos! Imagine my surprise to see a package make it’s way from the AUR into the official Arch repos. Very happy to see this indeed, I think Bitwarden is a great password manager for my uses.

Having said that, I do have some thoughts. Since I installed it first from the AUR, but now it’s in the Community repos, is there anything special I need to do? Like should I uninstall it first and then reinstall the Community version or is there anything special that I might have to do when a package goes from the AUR to the official repos? Perhaps I am over thinking it, but I just wanted to ask you all here since this is my first time experiencing this. I don’t know if there’s a site or a list somewhere that shows recent packages moving from the AUR to other Arch repos, but please feel free to explain anything regarding this process that I may need to know, I’d find it very valuable information.

Bitwarden is in the Community repos now! Pinging the all wise and knowing @dalto for any input since I know you use Bitwarden as well :wink:
Screenshot from 2021-09-04 12-10-11

1 Like

No. You just magically start getting updates from the repos. :partying_face:

pacman actually has not idea what the source of a package is. All it knows is that the package named bitwarden is currently in the repos.

3 Likes

I wonder if now that it’s in the Community repos would you consider installing it or sticking with the appimage version that you’ve been using? Thanks for your super quick response btw :stuck_out_tongue:

In my case, I would stick with the appimage. But that is because I multi-boot and the other distros don’t have a repo package. Since I am going to have the appimage anyway, I might as well only have one copy of bitwarden.

That being said, I ended up removing it. I realized I don’t really need it for anything anymore. The browser plugin is really all I need these days.

2 Likes

Yeah I hear ya. I mainly use it on my Android phone or like you with the browser extension. The times I do open up the Bitwarden application are when I don’t have Vivaldi/Firefox open, which does happen quite a bit, so there’s still a little bit of a use for it for me still. But you do make a good point. I could still easily accomplish my tasks even if I uninstalled the package since there are multiple methods to using it. Ahhh, gotta love all the choices to choose from sometimes :wink:

Thanks again for your help, very much appreciated!

For me, there is almost never a time when I don’t have a browser open and I need a password. In most cases, opening a browser is the first thing I do and I don’t close them.

You know now that I think about it, I probably open up a browser right after that anyways to input the passwords, so now I think I might not even need it, but I do like having it installed on my system, so I think for now I’ll keep it unless I realize I don’t open it for a month or more, then I’ll probably remove it if need be.

1 Like

To be clear, I don’t think there is anything wrong with keeping it. Personally, I removed because I wasn’t using it which is what I do with most software. I try to remove any unneeded complexities.

Yeah no worries man, I understood exactly what you meant, but doesn’t hurt to clarify your point just in case I took it otherwise. I generally try to keep only things I need as well, no need for too much unnecessary clutter getting in the way. I’m just happy to see it finally included in the main repos. No idea how long Bitwarden was an AUR package, but I think it’s good it’s included now for sure, even if we may not use it much :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m not sure whether things might improve for the app in future updates. On macOS, I noted that the app seems to be better integrated with chromium-based browsers. On FF & on Linux, they appear to be separate entities.