Bios to UEFI conversion

I don’t know if this is worth mentioning, but since the conversion to uefi I’m able to boot into the latest stable kernel (5.11).
It used to boot into a black screen, 9 times out of 10.

Grub is much faster than before, now the countdown to boot equals the time.
Before it took 15 seconds to countdown from 3 to 1.

And why are manjaro and ubuntu still here?

$ efibootmgr -v
BootCurrent: 0002
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 0002,0001,0000
Boot0000  ubuntu	VenHw(99e275e7-75a0-4b37-a2e6-c5385e6c00cb)
Boot0001* manjaro	VenHw(99e275e7-75a0-4b37-a2e6-c5385e6c00cb)
Boot0002* endeavouros	HD(3,GPT,640737b6-6186-4e0d-a4c8-465d7b36ce39,0xed90800,0xeb800)/File(\EFI\endeavouros\grubx64.efi)

Ubuntu came with this machine but I removed it immediately, and manjaro has been removed a couple of years ago.

I guess those are the remainder of the old BIOS settings in CMOS (or is it NVRAM?).
You could use efibootmgr to remove those entries:

sudo efibootmgr -b <bootnum> -B

Yes @pebcak , I just found how to remove these entry’s, but thanks, they’re gone now.

1 Like

One final thought that I would like to share.
I don’t know why but the system freezes are over, and is it because I converted from bios to uefi (?)
Is this even possible? It looks like it.
It boots like it should every time into the the 5.12 kernel, It seems like I don´t need the 5.4 lts any more.
I thought that once the system is running it should not matter which way you boot…

Maybe this is somehow helpful for bios booters. :wink:

1 Like

Which computer did you convert to UEFI the old one? Or was it the new one you got? Was it a UEFI system in the first place and installed as BIOS boot?

The new one is still on its way.
It was the old Dell that should have been fried. :joy:

I had uefi disabled from the day I got it and had a few installs in the past in bios mode.

That doesn’t seem likely.

It seems more likely that something else happened. For instance

• Updates could have happened at some point
  • When you reinstalled and reconfigured grub perhaps something is different there now
  • You may have made BIOS changes during the conversion process
  • Something else happened along the way…
  • You just got lucky :slight_smile:

Okay that answers it then. I definitely prefer UEFI now. Maybe the old Dell is baked in just right! :laughing:

These two are probably right. :joy:

1 Like