Bios reset on me and deleted my EOS from boot menu

I don’t know what to think of the whole thing anymore.
My suspicion is that more things might be broken.
But if you want to go ahead and troubleshoot further, that’s your call.
I just feel I have no more constructive ideas.

is there a way to type that command so its specifically for that partition? i feel like it’s being applied to the current instance of EOS? maybe something like (which isnt a directory, i just wouldnt know how to type out the entire directory)

sudo ln -s /dev/nvme0n1p10/mnt/usr/lib/libreadline.so.8.2 /dev/nvme0n1p10/mnt/usr/lib/libreadline.so.8

This is supposed to do exactly that. I don’t know how to do it any other way.

Well, it was a massive effort but the overlords at Windows managed to decimate EOS after its reinstall. Time to nuke it to oblivion. Thanks again pebcak!!!

1 Like

I’ve seen many times that the motherboard bios/firmware update clears linux boot stuff.

Then, on grub, I need to do grub-install and set bios to make linux as first to boot.

Is installing and setting up grub on arch a pretty simple process? I’m a newb at this stuff would it be as simple as knowing the type loader i have (UEFI) and following the instructions on https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GRUB ? Otherwise, are there any other terminal command tips you could share?

Thank you

The initial issue with having removed your EFI boot entry when resetting BIOS was already resolved further up.

You continued the already solved thread with a new issue. That of a corrupt file system that we have been trying to solve.

These are two separate issues.

And also, you are not using Grub but systemd-boot.

2 Likes

It is rather straightforward, but you’d need to set it up according to your system, especially where the EFI is mounted. And if you have an encrypted system, it gets a bit more complicated.

One way to get familiar with it is to install EndeavourOS into a virtual machine. For example, in VirtualBox you can configure it to support EFI (by default it is BIOS legacy boot). Packages grub and os-prober will be installed when you select grub in the EOS installer.
After you have installed it into a VM, you can play with the grub commands to see how it goes. Note however that it may have different EFI configuration than on your currently installed native system. That may somewhat change what parameters you need with the grub-install command.

But I see that this is off-topic. I mentioned grub only because I’m using it.

2 Likes

Thank you pebcak, I was answering manuel but yes, I’ll mark this one solved and wrap it! And thank you for reminding me about grub vs systemd-boot!

1 Like

Thank you for explaining it in simple terms, I’ll mess with the VM and see how it works with bios!

I have seen this happen also but not sure why it doesn’t happen on mine very often. I have done more than 13 UEFI updates on both my desktop boards and numerous UEFI updates on my 3 laptops. 2 are Lenovo and 1 HP and i haven’t had any problems. But i cannot say that it hasn’t happened before in my lifetime. I have done a lot of firmware updates…lots over the years. I can say that it is not an EndeavourOS phenomenon. :wink:

1 Like

you can save yourself from a lot of headache if you turn off secure boot and use grub… systemd-boot is a bit too new

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.