Bios reset on me and deleted my EOS from boot menu

type o[root@EndeavourOS liveuser]# sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p10 /mnt
[root@EndeavourOS liveuser]# sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p9 /mnt/efi
[root@EndeavourOS liveuser]# sudo arch-chroot /mnt
mount: /mnt/tmp: mount point does not exist.
       dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.
==> ERROR: failed to setup chroot /mnt
[root@EndeavourOS liveuser]# ls -al /mnt
total 588
drwxr-xr-x   16 root root   4096 Apr 10 19:16 .
drwxr-xr-x    1 root root    100 Apr 12 06:58 ..
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root root      7 Jan 31 20:51 bin -> usr/bin
drwxr-xr-x    2 root root   4096 Apr  7 00:02 boot
drwxr-xr-x    2 root root   4096 Mar 24 02:11 dev
drwxr-xr-x    6 root root   4096 Jan  1  1970 efi
drwxr-xr-x    3 root root   4096 Mar 24 02:29 home
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root root      7 Jan 31 20:51 lib -> usr/lib
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root root      7 Jan 31 20:51 lib64 -> usr/lib
drwx------ 3654 root root 544768 Mar 24 02:11 lost+found
drwxr-xr-x    2 root root   4096 Jan 31 20:51 mnt
drwxr-xr-x    4 root root   4096 Apr  7 00:05 opt
drwxr-xr-x    2 root root   4096 Mar 24 02:11 proc
drwxr-x---    8 root root   4096 Mar 29 03:20 root
drwxr-xr-x    2 root root   4096 Mar 24 02:11 run
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root root      7 Jan 31 20:51 sbin -> usr/bin
drwxr-xr-x    4 root root   4096 Mar 24 02:22 srv
drwxr-xr-x    2 root root   4096 Mar 24 02:11 sys
drwxr-xr-x    9 root root   4096 Apr  7 00:05 usr
drwxr-xr-x   13 root root   4096 Apr 10 18:58 var
r paste code here
1 Like

Run sudo mkdir /mnt/tmp

Then again:sudo arch-chroot /mnt

[root@EndeavourOS liveuser]# sudo mkdir /mnt/tmp
[root@EndeavourOS liveuser]# sudo arch-chroot /mnt
/bin/bash: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have to admit that this is getting a bit over my head.

Your system looks to be broken in a way that I feel I am not able to troubleshoot further.

If no other suggestions comes in from other users, you might be better off backing up your personal data under your home directory plus .connfig folder and also .mozilla if you use Firefox and reinstall the system.

can you possibly translate these commands to arch commands? this is from ask ubuntu. seems i can potentially install that package for libreadline.so.8

The file you need, /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libreadline.so.7 is provided by the package libreadline7, not by any version of libreadline-dev. Thereā€™s no such package as libreadline7-dev in any Ubuntu distribution.

Since you have libreadline.so.6 and its friends, youā€™re probably using Ubuntu 16.04 or 14.04. The libreadline7 package is available in Ubuntu 18.04. So, the straightforward answer here is that you can get it by upgrading to or installing 18.04. To check, youā€™d then run

apt policy libreadline7

and if itā€™s not installed, run

sudo apt update
sudo apt install libreadline7

Thereā€™s a really dirty hack (not recommended, but not very dangerous) you could try if you just want to get past this step to see if youā€™re going to hit another issue before you commit to upgrading, or you really canā€™t upgrade right now. This is to make a symlink pointing to the older version of the library, so that the program thinks itā€™s using libreadline.so.7 and is actually using libreadline.so.6:

sudo ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libreadline.so.6 /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libreadline.so.7

This might possibly make the program run. But it might also crash mysteriously without any meaningful error messages. If you leave the symlink like this, other programs you install from third party sources might also fail to report the missing dependency and crash mysteriously. You might forget what you did and wonder what is wrong with your silly system, so itā€™s better only to try things like this for testing. You can always just delete the symlink libreadline.so.7 to get back where you started.

Iā€™m sorry. I have no idea what that shared library is for and how to fix it.

would you know how to translate those commands from ubuntu to arch, so that i may try them? at this point i might as well try that dirty hack and see what happens before i reinstall eos tomorrowā€¦ i just dont know how theyre entered in eos. for example what command in arch is this apt in ubuntu?

The only thing I can think of, if that file is missing is that to download the package that provides it, extract it. Locate the file and copy it to its proper location in your installed system.

This might be a long shot but it is the best I got.

This wonā€™t assure either that the chroot issue may be solved. Could be chasing down the rabbit hole.

Iā€™m afraid, Iā€™m going to log out. Perhaps some one could pick up from here. Good luck!

Package readline should be installed by default.

Just guessing that it may be corrupted, so reinstalling readline might help. But that might not be the only corrupted packageā€¦

How could OP do that when attempting to arch-chroot fails and throws the error about that missing library?

Not sure if pacman --sysroot /mnt from the Live USB can do that either since it needs to set up a chroot as well.

ā€“sysroot

Specify an alternative system root. Pacman will chroot and chdir into the system root prior to running. This allows mounted guest systems to be properly operated on.

Does mounting work? Then copying package file might workā€¦

Edit: typo: file ā†’ files

Doesnā€™t this have to have /boot in the line somewhere? :thinking:

No, on EnOS with systemd-boot, ESP gets mounted at /efi by default.

1 Like

Oh ā€¦wasnā€™t thinking systemd-boot. Iā€™m just not used to that. Iā€™m more of a grub user.

1 Like

Iā€™m really not sure what caused all this mess. I think when I had to reinstall windows, it sabotaged EOS like those dimwits probably programmed it to do. I have no idea where to find this shared package library or install it in the correct directory. If you can direct me on the steps Iā€™ll give it a shot, otherwise Iā€™ll resort to reinstalling it. Thanks!

Thank you so much for helping out last night. I learned a lot in the process on how to diagnose issues better. Weā€™ll see if the guys here have a path to installing this package, either way reinstalling EOS wonā€™t be too much of a big deal.

1 Like

I just had a look at this. libreadline.so.8 is a link to libreadline.so.8.2.
We could try a similar thing like what you posted from AskUbuntu.
We might get lucky if that is the only broken link/thing.

In the live session:

sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p10 /mnt
sudo ln -s /mnt/usr/lib/libreadline.so.8.2 /mnt/usr/lib/libreadline.so.8
sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p9 /mnt/efi
sudo arch-chroot /mnt

IF (read BIG IF) this succeeds and nothing else is broken then

Crossing fingers!

This is crazy but the file exists!?

[admin@A515-54 ~]$ sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p10 /mnt
[sudo] password for admin: 
[admin@A515-54 ~]$ sudo ln -s /mnt/usr/lib/libreadline.so.8.2 /mnt/usr/lib/libreadline.so.8
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/mnt/usr/lib/libreadline.so.8': File exists

Iā€™m speechless :no_mouth:

I have other EOS DEā€™s, maybe itā€™s overlapping with working DEā€™s? Iā€™m compiling something right now but can unmount everything afterwards, then try again. Unless thereā€™s a way to mod the command to mount the libread specifically to partition 10ā€™s directory?