Bashtop → Resource Monitor

Resource monitor that shows usage and stats for processor, memory, disks, network and processes.

bashtop

bashtop-githttps://github.com/aristocratos/bashtop¿do you like this application?yay -S bashtop-git

:maté: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Why the process is using so much CPU? :thinking:

2020-04-10-220721_1366x768_scrot

1 Like

Why yes…yes I do :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

stress - tool to impose load on and stress test systems

$ man stress
Test ↓
stress --cpu 8 --io 4 --vm 2 --vm-bytes 128M --timeout 10s

1 Like

I think I’ll stay with Conky for monitoring - if only because my system practically idles while running it. If I leave out the weather stuff on my usual setup, I just have this on the right side out of the way:
conkyright

Just thought I’d mention it :grin:

Freebird54

3 Likes

Screenshot from 2020-04-10 18-36-00 :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Okay, abstracting from the system. What I meant is that bashtop takes in general about 5 times cpu cycles than that of htop. Since htop, top and bashtop report the numbers differently I used ps to check 3 of them:

ps -o pid,user,%cpu,cputimes,nlwp,command ax | grep top
  40527 ana      17.1      106    1 bash /usr/bin/bashtop
  40569 ana       3.0       19    1 htop
  40586 ana       0.3        2    1 top

I really don’t understand why. I checked the source, but with my knowledge of bash is hard to figure it out.

2 Likes

Always, always trust TOP, the others like Glances, they will always give you more cycles, try having nothing on the desktop, only a clean and open console and try top, then htop, then bashtop or glances and you will see that top is the one that spends the least resources and the one that tells the truth the most. I don’t know why that happens either, maybe it is because the great ones like glances work with pythons, I think.

2 Likes

@Resiliencia,

I think the version in the community repos need rebuilding. It crashes about 30 seconds after running. If I build the git version from AUR bashtop-git it works as expected. I don’t mind using and building the AUR version but new users may have issues.

1 Like

Bashtop is already marked as out-of-date: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/any/bashtop/
so the maintainer should be aware of it.

3 Likes