B550 and Endeavour

Heyas friendlies
My newly upgraded PC gives me a headache.
Specs: B550, Ryzen 5 5600, GTX770
Ever since I got the machine it loses the ethernet connection after 2 or 3 days and I’m forced to use wifi.
And I can install the Nvidia driver a dozen times, after reboot it’s never there.
I’ve heard a lot of theories, most are about my stupidity but one that sounds kinda nicer said the B550 chipset of my Gigabyte mobo and Linux aren’t compatible. :grimacing:

Tell me please how are y’alls experiences with the combo EOS/B550?

As an emergency solution I’ve installed PopOS now and … oh, I’m not supposed to write what I honestly feel about that one since this is a friendly forum or so. :thinking: Pop seems to work fine but I don’t even know how to make windows larger or smaller. I urgently need to get away from Pop and back on EOS. Please help me! :worried:

Hello @Orca
Could you provide the link to this command.
inxi -Fxxxz --no-host | eos-sendlog

1 Like

Find what the ethernet chipset is on your Gigabyte mobo and search in ddg or google. The kernel or firmware may not have the necessary binaries. In general, Gigabyte can be troublesome in Linux, compared to MSI or ASUS, although even they may need the latest kernel and realtek/intel ethernet driver. I don’t have a b550 so can’t be much help. Others may help. Good luck.

1 Like

There are issues with the latest kernel updates and certain ethernet adapters. In the past 3 weeks I have had the zen kernel and the lts kernel drop the ethernet after an update.

1 Like

Sorry Rick, am on Pop right now and would need to reinstall EOS first. May take a little while.

If even Zen and LTS giving problems I can stay at the normal kernel anyway, no?

Ethernet chipset is B550. What is ddg?

You can just use the normal kernel but the solution may be something similar to this thread:

duck duck go an alternative to google search.

1 Like

@Orca
Can you just give the output then to inxi -N

That thread is far far above my paygrade, didn’t understand a thing. :exploding_head:

1 Like

We can walk you through it. Your ethernet adapter is not b550 that is your motherboard chipset. Just run the command rick gave you on anything you are running so pop will work here as well.

Intel® I225-V 2.5Gb Ethernet —> https://www.asus.com/microsite/motherboard/AMD-B550/

The output of inxi -n would show what driver is in use for the ethernet device:

1 Like

Oh, LOL, I’m using ddg since Startpage became politically incorrect. Didn’t know people would abbreviate it like so.

As @joekamprad posted what does inxi -n show.

@Orca
You don’t have to install EndeavourOS to give the output of inxi -n

1 Like

I just freshly installed Manjaro. Right from the get go he refused to install proprietary drivers so I’m now without any graphics driver.

[orca@MiniMax ~]$ inxi -n
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8125 2.5GbE driver: r8169
IF: eno1 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 18:c0:4d:af:51:51
Device-2: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 driver: iwlwifi
IF: wlp7s0 state: down mac: 4a:41:ee:bd:6a:35
[orca@MiniMax ~]$

It’s not using the correct module for your Ethernet. You need to install r8125-dkms

yay -S r8125-dkms

Edit: I was assuming you were installing EndeavourOS. But anyway you have 2.5 Gigabyte Realtek Ethernet chip.

1 Like

During the course of today I’ve installed EOS twice, Pop once and now I’m on Manjo. If the trick with r8125-dkms works I’ll be back on EOS in a heartbeat. Like swooosh …

Thx for the hint. Can’t try it now since the initial update is still running.

If you reinstall EndeavourOS please uninstall the r8168 pkg and reboot to see if the 2.5 Gigabyte Ethernet works on the r8169 kernel module. If not install the r8125-dkms

1 Like