AUR Update Failure: Cannot find the debugedit binary

I get the same error for 3 other packages as well…which are listed with the exit status 15 error at the bottom.

==> ERROR: Cannot find the debugedit binary required for including source files in debug packages.
 -> error making: davinci-resolve-exit status 15
checking dependencies...
:: cmake optionally requires ninja: for ninja generator

Package (1)  Old Version  Net Change

ninja        1.11.1-3      -0.35 MiB

Total Removed Size:  0.35 MiB

:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] 
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) removing ninja                                         [--------------------------------] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
 -> Failed to install the following packages. Manual intervention is required:
librewolf-bin - exit status 15
pacseek - exit status 15
exodus - exit status 15
slippi-launcher - exit status 15
davinci-resolve - exit status 15

Edit /etc/makepkg.conf find the OPTIONS= line and change debug to !debug

4 Likes
ERROR: Cannot find the debugedit binary required for including source files in debug packages.

I know that what you said above is for preventing makepkg to build those extra debug packages but doesn’t the error message, by itself, mean that the package debugedit is lacking on OP’s system?

That is the literal meaning of the error. However, the cause of the error is much more likely to be that debugging was enabled by the pacman update. In general, I would argue disabling debugging is a more practical solution than installing debugedit

2 Likes

I understand that.

But suppose that someone wants to have the debug packages, won’t they need to install debugedit in that case if they get this error message?

I’m asking for curiosity not that I don’t understand your argument.

Yes.

1 Like

Are there any good reasons to install debugedit?

1 Like

pacman -Qtdq

you will see all the ‘debug’ packages right there. I delete them all. My apps are fine. If Endeavour says they are useless orphans, I am inclined to agree. It may be redundant that packages drag the debug stuff in on any given install (my impression of what’s happening)…
…but I have never seen the ‘manual intervention’ error among my many funky errors! Wonder if there is a ‘divine intervention’ error :grinning:

No, not really. Unless you want to generate debug information for a certain package.

I think, I was assuming, wrongly, as it seems, that everyone has the package base-devel (a meta package if I am not mistaken) providing debugedit and other basic tools to build Arch Linux packages. So I wondered what had happened to debugedit on your system.

The error message, in your case, as @dalto expounded, points rather to the fact that debug option was enabled in /etc/makepkg.conf by a recent update to the package pacman.

With that option enabled, yay is trying to build those debug packages and not finding the binary debugedit generates that error message.

I think this is because base-devel wasn’t always a meta package. Wasn’t it a group in the past?

If so, and you installed when it was a group, that wouldn’t automatically move you to the meta package.

2 Likes

It very well may have been. I don’t quite remember anymore :blush:

Sure, I get it.

Thanks for further elucidating!

According to this:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_User_Repository#Prerequisites

2.1 Prerequisites
Note: Packages in the AUR assume that base-devel is installed in the build environment.

I need to get further educated myself… :blush:

Yep:

https://archlinux.org/news/switch-to-the-base-devel-meta-package-requires-manual-intervention/

On February 2nd, the base-devel package group has been replaced by a meta package of the same name.

3 Likes

So I attempted these two commands in this order and removed I think ALL of the orphan packages but am still running into installation errors…can anyone give a step by step command sequence to follow? I can find the packages but I’m not sure how to remove after?

pacman -Qtdq
sudo pacman -Rns $(pacman -Qdtq)

What installation errors? Could you post them?

1 Like

Sure.

==> ERROR: Cannot find the debugedit binary required for including source files in debug packages.
 -> error making: slippi-launcher-exit status 15
checking dependencies...
:: cmake optionally requires ninja: for ninja generator

Package (3)  Old Version  Net Change 

go           2:1.22.1-1   -209.54 MiB
ninja        1.11.1-3       -0.35 MiB
patchelf     0.18.0-1       -0.24 MiB

Total Removed Size:  210.12 MiB

:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] 
:: Processing package changes...
(1/3) removing ninja                                         [--------------------------------] 100%
(2/3) removing patchelf                                      [--------------------------------] 100%
(3/3) removing go                                            [--------------------------------] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
 -> Failed to install the following packages. Manual intervention is required:
exodus - exit status 15
pacseek - exit status 15
davinci-resolve - exit status 15
slippi-launcher - exit status 15
librewolf-bin - exit status 15
mullvad-vpn-bin - exit status 15

Did you do already what @dalto said:

?

I’m about to further expose myself as a newbie here but how do I edit /etc/makepkg.conf I pop it into the command line and nothing happens. I prefix it with the name of one of the pkg like slippi and it launches the app.

You could use a terminal editor like nano for example:

sudo nano /etc/makepkg.conf

Type in your password when asked.

Navigate with the arrow keys to the above mentioned place in the file. Make the proposed change.

When done press Ctrl-o then enter and finally Ctrl-x.

That’s it.

2 Likes

This was the ticket! Technically speaking @dalto was the one who really proposed the solution but you were the one who stuck around to explain how to fully use it for a newbie like me. Much thanks!

1 Like