Are you using vim or emacs or something else?

It’s been my text editor of choice since I’ve started learning C.
I use the comment and quoter plugins quite often.

I also like how it points out little mistakes in my code as soon as I save it.
It’s only recently I found out about the built in command line by pressing meta+B
before that I used to have 2 windows open, 1 for editing, and one for compiling/executing

I’m guessing I’ll discover loads more nifty little features as I go along

2 Likes

Depends on what I’m doing…

• nano for quick config file edits. Also, set as the default editor.
  • atom for shell scripts, PKGBUILDs & HTML/CSS.
  • rstudio-desktop & rkward (depending on system) for R coding.
  • spyder for python3.
  • texstudio for LaTeX documents.
1 Like

Here to second micro. Being a recent-ish windows convert, shortcuts feel familiar. In complexity i’d place it below nano, and in productivity i’d place it in between nano and vi. And that’s fine for my use case. I actively search for it if (more like when) i’m stuck in command line.

Other than that i use Kate because it comes preinstalled.i don’t do coding so never needed something different.

1 Like

I use emacs (and micro to fix my config when I screw it up :smiley: )

2 Likes

I use micro. It’s available in the AUR.

1 Like

actually it’s not an AUR package anymore, it’s in the standard repo’s since recently
https://archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/micro/

3 Likes

I guess I have to do a replacement operation then.

1 Like

Honestly? I use Joe. I grew up with Wordstar, and Joe has a delightful mode for us who still mourn the loss of that wonderful text editor. Joe is the first thing i install on any new setup. Sure I could use Vim, but Joe has twenty plus years of muscle memory you can’t quite shake.

1 Like

I used to use a programm called Paperclip to word process, especially vs WordStar for speed - so I know what you mean! I haven’t touched that for years - but it wouldn’t take much doing to re-engrave it on my fingers…

1 Like

As long as the package name is the same, you should just start getting updates from the repos.

1 Like

The name of the package was micro-git.

1 Like

I use nano when I’m not using Sublime Text.

2 Likes

Vim/Neovim. It’s a pain to learn but now I can’t imagine using anything else. Totally customizable and seemingly capable of just about anything you can think of.

This the reason I learned vi as well. I first learned vi in 1988, and used it since.

In addition, I’ve learned notepadqq, which matches the notepad++ I use on the Windows VM I access for work.

1 Like

Neovim ftw! And sometimes micro.

2 Likes

Always vim/neovim

it is so easy to setup as ide

1 Like

I tried vim, like it!

3 Likes

vim, emacs hurts my fingers as they’re too short to perform entirely too many of the macros comfortably.

+1 emacs shortcuts are dangerous for fingers!

i use neovim 0.5 dev
i like vim but neovim i like better