Are there any known bugs related to Calamares?

I tried endeavour on bare metal… My laptop worked almost as well as on windows, wifi with 60/94 Mbps is more than ok

My vivobook x1500 ea with 1135g7 got a bit hotter when opening videos on YouTube with Firefox, I heard the cooler spinning up, idk why , but I noticed that behavior in pop os too, anyway, it might get better after installation cuz I’ll check it with psensor(I guess can’t install it from live installer if I’m right:/)

Is yay supposed not to work(like after the second step) in In the live installer?? Cuz it was simply stopping and htop wasn’t showing any cpu draw from yay anymore (anyway)

Other than secure boot disabled what should I be worried about? My laptop uses the Asus EZ UEFI and I want to buy a usb 3 rack and desktop SSD(to use the SSD in the rack and to pass the Linux through the usb 3)

Are there any bugs known to Calamares that would mess with the windows 11 SSD I have ? I want to instruct it to install all(Linux + bootloader) on the “external” SSD

I used ventoy and an older iso to test It, might re download a newer one tomorrow

Should I get grub or sys md for booting? I’m relatively a starter, despite using Ubuntu based distros for a couple of yrs

don’t let calmares do the heavy lifting, it really can’t in a timely fashion.
that means in live iso find the part you want to donate to the Bare Metal Distro, and make it GPT partiton.
Now you can install. Let Calmares make the /boot, /root, and /swap. you just go to have it prepared and lead it there.

Just my experience, IMO

that said the first online bare metal install I ever did was my Endeavour and that was badass. I would go online install for everything now if I ever hopped/auditoned stuff again. Online beats any live installer, at least the Endeavour experience did.

So … It means that I’d have to do manual partitioning? I never did that, idk how to

Last time I installed Manjaro Calamares did everything perfectly, can’t it be trusted in Eos? Like I just need the boot loader and Eos on the same SSD :confused:

After I selected the right SSD and made sure it’s on the boot loader is on the right SSD I just clicked next and so on :slight_smile:

I hope I don’t have to do that manually…

Also everything is MBR , even windows 11 if I recall correctly it’s been installed as MBR since secure boot is off
Idk how Rufus manages windows by default, but I’m sure it’s MBR, making stuff gpt seems rksky

It should not have an issue when installing to a completely different drive.

I say that as someone who has installed it to it’s own SSD, albeit, not an external one. If you’re really nervous, you can pull the Windows drive prior. You’ll need to turn on OS-Prober reguardless post install to see other OS regardless.

Known Calamares bugs can be found on their github.

You should backup 100% of things you can’t afford to lose just in case it goes belly up in the process. There’s no absolute 100% guarantee that nothing will ever go wrong. Although, it’s a pretty minimal chance.

2 Likes

No bugs that I know, I just find it a slow installer if I don’t make a place for it to go.

If Endeavour is getting it’s own drive I strongly rec pulling the WIN ssd out of the board.
I think your fear is backwards. It’s not what Endeavour install will do to Win11 which is likely nothing. you want that guaranteed? yank windows.
your fear should be what is win 11 going to do the linux distro. If you lived a sabotage-free life of Win and Linux existing together, please disregard. I have not.

yep. I think osprober command in the terminal comes post-install? I forgot.

Yes. Well, I say that assuming they choose to use grub. I actually don’t know how systemd-boot does the looking for other OS’s.

But yes, Arch ships OS prober off in grub, so EOS does too.

You absolutely don’t need to manual partitioning. You can just use the installer normally.

I dual boot Windows 10 and EndeavourOS.

Should I get grub or sys md for booting? I’m relatively a starter, despite using Ubuntu based distros for a couple of yrs

I recommend systemd-boot. I haven’t had any problems since EndeavourOS started shipping systemd-boot by default. The only notable difference is that GRUB is more customizable.

Last time I installed Manjaro Calamares did everything perfectly, can’t it be trusted in Eos? Like I just need the boot loader and Eos on the same SSD :confused:

When it comes to partitioning, depending on what it detects on the selected drive, it will show you several options:

• Install alongside: If you already have a system, it will shrink a partition and install it in the new free space.

• Erase disk: If you want to format the whole drive and then install EndeavourOS.

• Replace partition: If you want to install EndeavourOS in an already created partition/free space.

• Manual partitioning: If you want to manually set up the partitions.

If you are installing EndeavourOS in a completely different storage device than the one you have Windows 10, all you need to do is select the correct drive where you want to install EndeavourOS (there’s a drop-down list) and then you select “Erase Disk”, since you got Windows in another device you don’t have to worry about it being deleted.

If you have Windows 10/11 installed in the same drive that you want to install EndeavourOS on and if you want a no-brainer (basically automatic dual boot), just select “Install alongside” or “Replace partition” if you set up a partition or free space necessary for the install.

To be honest, even if you are a noob, I recommend to set up the partitions yourself. You can modify it as you would like to and make sure everything is going to run as you expect.

Boot Windows before anything, open the “Disk Management” program and shrink a partition to get a lot of unallocated/free space storage (Minimum 100 GBs if you want an actual usable system, but depends on how much storage you want for EndeavourOS).

Then you boot into the live USB and proceed with the installation. You select the correct drive and then click “Manual Partitioning.”

You select the unallocated/free space and click the “Create” button. You will need to make sure to create 3 partitions, separate from the ones that Windows uses:

Order | Mount Point | File system | Flags | Space
Partition 1 | no mount point | linux-swap | swap | Depends on how much ram you have, search the Ubuntu Swap table to know how much you need
Partition 2 | /efi | FAT32 | boot, esp | 512 MiB, it usually takes less than 200 MiBs but it's best to be safe
Partition 3 | / | ext4 | root | Biggest partition where pretty much everything is going to be

The file system is pretty flexible, so you could create partitions for other mount points, but those are the ones I would recommend (basically the most basic).

I actually don’t know how systemd-boot does the looking for other OS’s.

I’m not sure how it works in technical terms either, but it works out of the box. You don’t need to configure anything like you need to do with GRUB to dual boot.

Idk why you deleted that, it’s good information:)

It’s the same information as the comment you selected as the solution. I made a mistake and incorrectly posted it as a reply while trying to modify the comment to fix some things.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.