[Archlinux]pacman 6.0 and pamac-aur compatibility

If you haven’t, you might give “paru” a try. I think it’s pretty easy to understand and it seems extremely thorough in its approach.
In GUI-land, Bauh is very nice; if you really want a GUI.

Since I switched to EndeavourOS I have nearly all available terminal solutions installed and tested (pacman, yay, trizen, paru, pikaur, pacaur). For daily use/updates I exclusively use yay. Nevertheless I prefer a graphical solution for searching purposes (pamac, octopi, bauh; my preferences in this order).

3 Likes

If you need a GUI for your package manager, Octopi will compile from source and works just fine with Pacman 6.0. Yay can also be compiled from source and works with Pacman 6.0. I tried using AUR packages to install Octopi, but they haven’t been updated for Pacman 6.0 and will not work. Octopi has to be compiled from source code. Here is the location: https://github.com/aarnt/octopi . I used the Qmake from source and it worked perfectly. After you’ve compiled it it will have a generic icon but it should still work ok.

Latest update of pamac-aur seems to be working again.

yay -Qs pamac
local/libpamac-aur 11.0.0-1
    Pamac package manager library based on libalpm
local/pamac-aur 10.1.3-1
    A Gtk3 frontend, Package Manager based on libalpm with AUR and Appstream support
local/pamac-tray-icon-plasma 0.1.3-1
    Pamac tray icon for plasma users

pamac-tray-icon-plasma works with pacman 6.0? :thinking:

I guess the question should be if it works with pamac-aur. I think it more likely interacts with pamac than with pacman. If pamac-aur works, pamac-tray-icon-plasma should cause no trouble.
And yes. It works.

1 Like

It should* work? I had it working previously with pamac-aur-git. I think I had to change a line to point to the right Pamac.

It works as i installed it to try it. Preferences in pamac allow you to show tray icon or hide it if no updates available. It shows up when there are updates. It’s a red icon when updates rare available at least on kde.

1 Like

It depends on the used theme. On my computer colour doesn’t change. There is a small dot added to the icon in the lower right corner in the system bar.

You can also change behaviour in settings of “Systemabschnitt der Kontrollleiste” (don’t know the exact english translation now, icons of running processes/apps in your bar).

There are three choices :

1. show always
  2. show if important
  3. show never

Using Plasma

1 Like

Thanks @ricklinux @Trekkie00 @sothis6881 much appreciated!

Edit: Works, thanks!

1 Like

It’s in AUR:

$ yay -Ss octopi
aur/alpm_octopi_utils-git r20.1e735c3-1 (+2 1.65)
    Alpm utils for Octopi (git)
aur/octopi-notifier-qt5 0.11.0-2 (+3 0.01)
    Notifier for Octopi using Qt5 libs
aur/alpm_octopi_utils-dev 1.0.2-6 (+3 1.70)
    Alpm utils for Octopi
aur/octopi-notifier-noknotify 0.10.0-1 (+10 0.09) (Orphaned)
    Notifier for Octopi without knotify
aur/octopi-notifier-frameworks 0.11.0-2 (+10 0.75)
    Notifier for Octopi with Knotifications support
aur/octopi-git 0.11.0.r45.f5b9270-1 (+75 0.77)
    This is Octopi, a powerful Pacman frontend using Qt libs
aur/octopi-dev 0.12.0-3 (+469 35.17)
aur/alpm_octopi_utils 1.0.2-3 (+565 34.32)
    Alpm utils for Octopi
aur/octopi 0.11.0-2 (+793 38.13)