ARCH testing repository

I had used for a lot of years debian SID, unstable. I had never encountered big problems
That’s why I was wondering, has anyone experiences with the testing repository of Arch?
is it “stable” enough to try it?

Well… Even if I’m using archlinux with testing enabled for the last 9 years or so, I do not recommend to do so. It sometimes break. Just try it in a VM for two or three weeks.

1 Like

Debian sid is closer to Arch stable than Arch testing from my experience. That being said, I haven’t used sid in quite some time.

Also, in the Debian world, there is a huge difference between sid, testing and the current release. In Arch, most things are only in testing for a very short time.

1 Like

Maybe create a virtual machine and use testing repos there? That way you can find out if you feel comfortable with it. As others implied, it will break occasionally.

1 Like

thanks a lot for your answers
I suppose that I will stay with the stable repo :slight_smile:
if it breaks I’m not sure that I will be able to fix it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am just curious why did you want to enable testing in the first place?

1 Like

just for my previous debian experience :slight_smile:
I had always used the unstable repo

(anyway I’m using Arch from some months, but the ARCH stable repository seems to me less “conservative” than the Debian stable one)

1 Like

and what compares btw debian experimental ? i want to know :slight_smile:

I suppose that there is not an experimental repo :slight_smile:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Official_repositories

Debian experimental :slight_smile:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianExperimental

Arch stable is already as bleeding edge as it gets. Doesn’t seem to make sense to go beyond the bleeding edge, unless you are a developer/tester. And definitely not on a “get-stuff-done” machine.
There’s no comparison with Debian here. I mean Arch testing is not to Arch stable what SID is to Debian stable.

4 Likes

Do it with timeshift + timeshift-autosnap and you’re always on the safe side.

3 Likes

Since I have used and continue to use Debian Sid, this idea has already come up in me, but I honestly admit, I haven’t dared to try it in a live environment yet. Because of the Arch rolling release, there is even more chance of package breaks. Debian Sid is not really a rolling release, but rather a distribution that is constantly being developed. I think you also use apt-listbugs on Debian Sid to keep it safe. To the best of my knowledge, there is no such device on Arch(testing).

2 Likes