Arch linux gui?

Personally, I don’t see a need for ALG. As someone said above they might land in hot water with Arch because they’re using the name regardless of Linux GUI part and due to copying the logo. Arch way is not that hard once you study it.

The void is already filled by :enos: they might get some traction from people who don’t know about :enos: or any other better Arch-based distros. AGL I think is trying to ride the name because it’s famous among FOSS community. If they use another name this project would die or might even not gonna get off the rocks.

Seems to be a portfolio project for some grad guys but have to agree their web guy is good though. Anyway, there was another post about them here sometime back. I think I said we should just have to wait and see how long the project is going to last.

I think the question is where we draw the line between a Distro and a installer.

3 Likes

Well…This Arch Linux GUI seems a good example. All “pure” isos can be considerer as an installer (Base Arch Linux + easyness of Calamares + Vanilla DE of choice, and no more…). But all themed isos can be viewed as distros, or at least wannabe distros (Themes, pre-choice of apps made by the devs added to the default apps, choice of shell, etc). IMHO the firts category is a + for people interested in a rollling-release distro, but the second category does not add something that does not already exist yet.

I wouldn’t call anything a distro unless it has it’s own repositories (and packages).
Like EOS has an additional repository and a couple of own packages and tools. → “Distribution based on Arch”

If it’s just an installer with a pre-defined set of packages and a bit of theming here and there, I wouldn’t count that as being a distribution.

4 Likes

I understand your point. But an installer with an added set of apps and customisations, themes and other choices pre-made is no more an installer. And maybe not really a distro. Third category : wannabe-distro ? :wink:

There can be some “advanced installers” that in addition to a basic install can offer the choise to select apps in Calamares and give their users the possibility to obtain a full-featured DE or WM at the end of the installation process. But it’s not te case with ALG. The installer version gives vanilla DE (and i think it’s really a good point), and the themed version gives more thant themed DE as it also add a (short) selection of apps (and i think it’s useless as the same exists already).

1 Like

“Unofficial Spin-off” maybe, but I can agree with wannabe-distro as well :wink:

1 Like

As @moson said to become a distro it needs something of itself. The project must have its own identity :enos: has built its image for being close to vanilla Arch and being minimal. Manjaro has its image as being the distro for anyone. :enos: has a simple but useful set of tools. So does Manjaro they might have a more advanced or complex set but they have their own.

If we take the look at distro from the point that @Erreffel1 made then the only distro is Arch because it doesn’t use an installer. Anyway making something easy to install and slapping on some DE’s doesn’t make the distro a distro, not even a wannabe one.

@demonkiller

Thanks for giving EndeavourOS a try, and welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Pudge

1 Like

Ah, you are the main dev I assume.

If I may ask: Did you guys talk to archlinux regarding usage of the name and logo?

1 Like

Thanks @Pudge . Maybe @dalto might recognise me from the telegram group. Joe knows me.

To everyone out there, thank you for trying out &/or commenting on ALG. Your feedback is valuable! I just think that bringing it up twice in EOS forums might not be the right thing to do. Discord is the place for ALG related discussion, until we have a forum.

4 Likes

@moson Not yet, thanks for bringing this up. As per the trademark policy,

Why I think our name is not a problem, as stated in the link above.

• there is no commercial intent behind the use
  • what you are referring to is in fact Arch Linux

Also,

Therefore, if you are creating a derivative of Arch Linux, you may use the Trademarks in association with the software product provided:

• the changes are minimal and unsubstantial, as described above
  • there is no commercial intent associated with the new product
  • the Trademark is used in a way that makes it clear that your project is a development effort related to the Arch Linux source, but that the software you are working upon is not in fact Arch Linux as distributed by the Arch Linux project

When can I not use the Arch Linux name?

If you are producing a new product which is based on Arch Linux but which has more substantial changes than those described above as a Remix, you are allowed to state (and we would encourage you to do so) that your product is “derived from Arch Linux”, “based on Arch Linux”, or “a derivative of Arch Linux” but you may not use the Trademarks to refer to your product.

Basically if it is being “branded as a distro”, which I have clearly stated on multiple occasions, it’s not. The goal is to help install Arch Linux, quickly, offline, and with a GUI. I hope this clears some of the doubts.

Yeah, no offense. I don’t think you are violating their policies. edit whoops maybe you do.

Anyways I’d suggest to contact archlinux about that and get a formal OK from them…

Imho that’s just part of the etiquette before using name/logo; Even if it would be permitted by policies anyways :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for your precisions. The installer with vanilla DE is really a good thing. I have try it (in a vm) and it works without a problem and give a good vanilla Xfce.

The “themed” concept do not appeal to me and i think the vanilla is really the strongest point of your project.

As a heads-up, this is a problem as what you’re advertising is not Arch Linux. There’s a reason other installers are called e.g. “Anarchy” or “archfi” etc.

It’s pretty explicitly detailed in the text you quoted here:

For example, “ProjectX is a GUI installer for Arch Linux” would be an acceptable use of the “Arch Linux” trademark. However, calling the project “Arch Linux GUI” immediately brings it into conflict with “Arch Linux”.

The good news is that you can be proactive and address it before someone contacts you officially.

4 Likes

Semantics and definitions but valid point!

2 Likes