Arch: How to keep a »Backup Kernel« for possible Update Accidents?

I have heard that in Arch Linux it is recommended to always keep a “backup kernel” in case an update could damage the currently used kernel.

Is it enough to just install the package linux-lts as a backup kernel?

Yes, you can have both linux and linux-lts installed.

Personally, I always use the lts kernel unless there is a reason not to.

1 Like

No, you also have to install the linux-lts-header package. After install you should have the following packages:

linux
linux-headers
linux-lts
linux-lts-headers
linux-firmware

Then you can choose current kernel or LTS kernel in Grub
Pudge

3 Likes

Other things to keep in mind… downgrade works to back up a release or 2 if required. And timeshift will return you to a working system ‘save point’ anytime if you have it. You could even have it on an alias running before an update…

Of course, having - or even running - the lts version can sidestep a lot of the potential troubles - rare though they may be.

Freebird54

3 Likes

Most problems you can encounter are with packages from the AUR that didn’t anticipate on the new Linux kernel, usually, that happens with major kernel releases or major DE updates, like Gnome or Plasma.
In that case, as others already mentioned, it is useful to have the LTS kernel as a fallback or Timeshift until the issue is solved upstream, this usually is solved within a week.
The main Arch system has rarely problems.

3 Likes

But I won’t receive any disadvantages in case of always using the LTS-kernel instead of current kernel, no?

About the kernel, I prefer trustful stability over (immature?) innovation… :smile:

for the future i keep my eyes on Dracut when it evolves more on arch… thats basicly nice , like on Fedora, it keeps some older versions kernel in the grub. if a new update not work you always able to choose a older or that kernel update before last updated…sometimes there is few to choose :slight_smile: stil not know how to configure dracut properly so thats for the future :slight_smile:

Would it be smart to remove the newest kernel and only keep the LTS?
I only use the LTS, cause the newest one doesn’t run well on my rig.

Only if you need something in a newer kernel or the LTS kernel doesn’t work for you. If the LTS kernel works for you, stick with it is my advice.

That is up to you. Having a second kernel installed shouldn’t hurt but keeping it up-do-date does take time and bandwidth to download. If that bandwidth isn’t a big concern for you, I would probably keep it just in case. Just in case anything ever breaks with the LTS kernel, you still have a backup way to boot your system.