Arch/Endeavour OS - Is it ACTUALLY unstable? A one year review!

It sells easier and no one cares about Linux beyond us.

1 Like

:frowning:

1 Like

Annual bump to show how stable Arch is - yesterday marked the 7th anniversary of my first Arch install, done The Arch Wayā„¢. She remains as stable as can be.

12 Likes

If I still had my old Dell, I believe my install too would be living on. But 7 years? Thatā€™s wild.

1 Like

I have a SolydXK install (Debian stable based) that will be 9 years old in a few months. Never reinstalled, I have updated-in-place with each new version of Debian.

I donā€™t know if I even have a piece of hardware that Iā€™ve had for 9 years, nevermind an install.

But to be fair, debian stable, 9 years is what like 2 updates? Hahahaha I was just looking at their current, and I canā€™t even believe gnome is still on 3.38. You guys give them credit, if you just need something to work, thatā€™s the place to be.

I have a bookworm install that I quite enjoy. Linux all around these days is pretty impressive.

Itā€™s a great distro (both Debian and SolydXK).

Some of use donā€™t give a shit about what version anything is on. It works, and works well.

1 Like

To be honest, I use my Thinkpad mostly just for travel since getting my legion, with the next debian stable should bring gnome 40+. Iā€™m tempted to go that route and just flatpak Firefox on it since thatā€™s mostly all I need while traveling.

Also, Iā€™ve never really used Debian anything. Most of my previous history was with Mint or Ubuntu and I think thereā€™s a fairly large difference between Ubuntu based and Debian based, if Ubuntu is also Debian based**

1 Like

On one laptop, I have an Arch install that should be at least 2-3 years oldā€¦ sadly Iā€™d have to pull it from the shelve to be more exact about itā€™s birth.

Ubuntu is to Debian as Manajro is to Arch.

Iā€™ll leave it up to you to decide whether thatā€™s a good thing or a bad thing :wink:.

Man, thatā€™s. . . Really depressing. I may need a drink after that one.

4 Likes

Iā€™m certainly not as long term a user as many others here, but Iā€™ve been using this and other arch-based distros enough to agree with the sentiment. The only two issues Iā€™ve ever had with arch-based distros are

1. I broke something rooting around in config/driver files without knowing what I was doing
  2. A package from the aur wouldnā€™t build correctly for some reason (usually because of the packager not the package manager)

The latter of course only being a minor nuisance. Iā€™ve never had my system implode on me out of nowhere. Beyond that, unlike other distros Iā€™ve used the package manager has never really caused me any headaches and ā€˜just works.ā€™ Pacman has always worked flawlessly for me, unlike apt. With basic maintenance EOS in particular has caused me exactly zero problems.

Birth: 2023-05-04 16:14:37 (new machine, trying out EOS KDE this time) :smiley: :enos_flag: