Arch-based Orange Pi OS?

Orange Pi

… have plans to build an Arch-based Linux distro for Orange Pi hardware, which is supposed to be user-friendly and have high compatibility with open-source drivers

http://www.orangepi.org/html/softWare/orangePiOS/index.html

1 Like

I have been tempted to order the Orange Pi 800 but i don’t trust the vendor setup on Amazon. Haven’t seen any orders for them. Two different vendors listed. I’m a little hesitant and unsure?

Edit: I have been waiting to see this Orange Pi OS availability and if i see some orders and feed back on the Pi 800 show up.

That’s a dilemma.
I have seen a offer-you-can’t-refuse sort of offer on amazon.de on a Pixel phone. I am also hesitant.
Also, I don’t actually need one either. I have a Pixel 4a running perfectly on CalyxOS which will be supported until at least mid 2025 and perhaps beyond.

Me too but, i can order the Google Pixel right from the Google store. I’m tempted to get the Google Pixel 6a as it is a reasonable price and almost same specs as the Pixel 6

Edit: Support date for CalyxOS on the Pixel 6a is July 2027

6a seems to be a good choice with a reasonable price tag. I could get one as well here from a local vendor but I don’t really need another new phone. There are already quite many devices around my place that only keeping everything maintained and updated is full-time job.

I suffer from electro-exhaustion.
:bed:

1 Like

Orange Pi 5 is coming out December 1, 2022
Rockchip RK3588S 8 Core 64 Bit Single Board Computer, 2.4GHz
4, 8, or 16 GB RAM
integrated ARM Mali-G610 GPU
HDMI output, GPIO interface
M.2 PCIe2.0
Gigabit LAN port
USB: USB3.01; USB2.02; Type-C (USB3.1)*1

https://www.amazon.com/Orange-Pi-Frequency-Development-Android12/dp/B0BN15SS83/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1U6M6E8148A2R&keywords=orange%2Bpi&qid=1669226074&sprefix=orange%2Bpi%2Caps%2C155&sr=8-8&th=1

I think @sradjoker has one of these on pre-order

How long before Orange Pi comes out with a computer in a keyboard with the Orange Pi 5 inside? Maybe the Orange Pi 900 or something?

Pudge

EDIT:
The Orange Pi 800 has the same specs as an Orange Pi 4.
The Orange Pi 4 / 800 has about the same specs as an Odroid N2. I have Three Odroid N2’s so
I think I will wait for the Orange Pi 5. Also, I don’t know if I want to be an early adopter on the Orange Pi 5. Might wait for this platform to mellow out with age.

1 Like

I checked, and Archlinux ARM does offer an base image for the Orange Pi 4 / 800, which is the Rockchip RK3399 SOC
https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv8/rockchip/asus-chromebook-flip-c101pa

So, theoretically this base image could be installed on an Orange Pi 4 or Orange Pi 800

Pudge

I might wait also then if Orange Pi 5 and maybe Orange Pi 900 is maybe on in the wind. I would like something a little more powerful.

1 Like

I bought a Pixel 6a ($299 USD on sale) for my partner and set it up for her just last night. It does indeed seem to be a great little phone. I’m researching options for installing Linux on her old phone and making it my own. :imp:

Edit: Corrected price.

1 Like

Nice! That’s a bargain. I’m sure your partner will be happy wit this pone for quite som time to come.

I’m very much interested in having a Linux phone eventually.
I would be grateful if you could share your experience of installing Linux on a phone.

Would you mind sharing what make and model it is?

The old phone is a Moto G5 Plus. It’s more than 5 years old, so I’m afraid that my options will be limited.

I just checked the receipt for the Pixel 6a, and I paid $299, not $249. I see on the Google Store that $299 is also the current price. I edited my previous post.

1 Like

Perhaps not. Some of the Linux for phones support quite old devices.

I’m curious about PostmarketOS. Don’t know if they support this model. I think, personally, I might end up with one of the supported devices by some Linux for phones out there.

1 Like

Still god price.

Orange Pi 5 seems to be a very nice SBC, only the that it hasn’t build-in wifi is annoying.

At least it has a M.2 socket that can support WiFi6 plus Bluetooth. That’s at least better than a USB Dongle. Although myself I would probably use the M.2 socket for a SSD.

PCIe M.2 M-KEY Socket: supports PCIe WIFI6+BT 5.0; Support SSD

Pudge

1 Like

Yes and hook it to ethernet.

Edit: Are there any cases to mount these boards?

I don’t have Orange Pi 5 on preorder but rather Rock Pi 5 by radxa. It’s based on rk3588 SOC.
Orange Pi 5 is based on RK3588s which is like the mini version of rk3588

3 Likes

But this one doesn’t have ssd slot?

Pinebooks also have the same SOC. theoretically our kernel should work on Orange Pi 4 and Orange Pi 800. I don’t know about the bootloader though

I forgot about the differences. I’ll post a link if I’m able to find the information