April release issues

We received a couple of mentions of several bugs in the April release for certain hardware and we’re hard at work trying to fix some of those bugs.

We will release a fixed ISO very soon.

Our apologies for the inconvenience.

7 Likes

is it worthwhile to ask what hardware, or just wait for fixed update?

It is pretty random, the issues are not booting the ISO, freezes in the system or Calamares. Eight out of ten, the current ISO has no problems.

1 Like

the not booting part is probably that the default boot option has changed other than the CD menu. the timeout is to short as well so some motherboards may not have been able to show the menu yet before the timeout (mine does, so have to press keys while booting)

No, it is not random. The freeze happens to me every time I try to install a system with encrypted disks.

As mentioned in here, I want to create a installation with a boot partition and a partition for LVMonLUKS where the root and home partition are inside. The LVM is created before the startup of the installer and in the installer I am using the option manually partitioning.
The installer freezes at the step installing time zone data or right after that step.

With random, I meant that we can’t pin point it will happen on certain hardware, we received this bug on certain hardware systems while others, with a simular hardware systems don’t have any issues at all.

As I said, we’re working on the issue and when the ISO is finished, we release this one immediately.

2 Likes

I can offer my help to pin the point.
On the same machine I mentioned above the online installation with all DEs and no encryption was fine. Trying to install with encryption every time made the installation freeze.

:+1:

2 Likes

How does one do that? Please explain how you are trying to set this up because i want to test it also and see what you are doing. Are you using gparted first and creating the partitions and then starting the online installer and using manual partition to go through the process.

Could you explain to me exactly and i will attempt to replicate and see what i get if you don’t mind?

I am using gparted for the basic creation of the partitions and the terminal with cryptsetup for the rest.

Step 1: Boot latest EOS from USB. The laptop I am using does only boot in BIOS-mode.
Step 2: Use gparted. Create a small /boot-partition formatted with ext4 (approx. 500MB) and a second partition with the rest of the drive and do not format it at all (use fromat type “not formatted”).
Step 3: Open terminal and switch to root with sudo su
Step 4: Create LVMonLUKS with following command:
cryptsetup luksFormat -c aes-xts-plain64 -s 512 -h sha512 /dev/sdX2
Step 5: Open encrypted LVM: cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdX2 lukslvm
Step 6: Create physical volume and volume group inside LVM:
pvcreate /dev/mapper/lukslvm
vgcreate vg0 /dev/mapper/lukslvm
Step 7: Create logical volumes inside the volume group:
lvcreate -L 40G vg0 -n lvroot
lvcreate -L 6G vg0 -n lvswap (remark: I am using swap-partitions and not swap files)
lvcreate -l 100%FREE vg0 -n lvhome (using the rest of the drive)
Step 8: Format the logical volumes:
mkfs.ext4 -L root /dev/mapper/vg0-lvroot
mkfs.ext4 -L home /dev/mapper/vg0-lvhome
mkswap -L swap /dev/mapper/vg0-lvswap
Step 9: Now start the installer and choose online install.
Stepp 11: At the step with the software to install, choose Gnome and from XFCE choose everthing for lightdm (I do not like gdm and my kids neither :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
Step 12: At the step with the partitioning choose manually partitioning.
Mark partition /dev/sdX1 as mount point /boot.
Switch to the volume group in the upper dialog with the drives.
Mark partition /dev/mapper/vg0-lvroot as mount point /.
Mark partition /dev/mapper/vg0-lvhome as moint point /home.
I do not include the swap-partition, I would do that in a later step after the installation is finished.
Step 13: Continue the rest of the installer and start the installation.
Step 14 and continuing: This would be the part to change grub and the initram to the encrypted logival volumes.

After some time the whole systems freezes and I have to power off to get the laptop working again.

Thanks …i will try this. This is something i have not done so it will be interesting for me. To be honest i don’t like Gnome. :crazy_face: But i will do exactly what you have here as soon as i can get to it. I do have a Bios system i can try it on. Step 14 is something that is done manually? Or the installer is completing this? I have never done this so you have to include all steps or i won’t get it.

:+1:
I have done encrypted installations more than 20 times …

:rofl:

Step 14 is something manually. You have to remount all the encrypted partitions, chroot into the installed system and change things like crypttab, fstab, /etc/default/grub etc.
If you manage to get the installer finish the installation you can stop the experiment.

I just do the encrypted installs the easy way! :rofl:

On a PC where I only want to install EOS it is the easiest way to do with the calamares encryption install.
If you have a PC or laptop where you would like to have a dual boot with windows 10 you have to partition and to encrypt everything manually.

Why because you are including the encryption to get to the Windows boot also?

If you have e.g. a EFI boot with windows you need to have a not encrypted boot partition.

The luks encryption on EndeavourOS doesn’t encrypt the EFI partition. Full encryption works to encrypt everything else. This i have tested a lot. I just don’t know how to set up all this manual stuff because i have not really had an interest in doing it.

I know. That is the reason why you need a not encrypted /boot-partition.

For Antergos there was a great tutorial from @joekamprad with every necessary step.
For EOS there is a great tutorial from @2000 here in the forum.
Both do the install with EFI partition too.

Yes i have seen them and seems complicated. What is the reasoning people want to do this? What is wrong with just encrypted on the install?

The tutorial of @2000 is complicated but is related to the former problems of calamares.

In some cases you can not use the encryption on install.
One is the dual boot with windows. Another case is if you have not only one but two (or more) drives in your PC and the second drive should contain only the /home-partition. And there are further more cases where you need to do it manually.

Okayi get to the lvcreate -L 40G vg0 - n lvroot

it gives an error

Volume group vg0 not found