Applications don't follow desktop theme

Hi, noob there but I recently installed EndeavourOS with Budgie desktop and noticed that several applications, namely qbittorrent & flameshot, don’t follow my desktop theme (juno) and stay white. What I tried so far is based on Uniform look for Qt and GTK applications, that is:

• Option 1: install QGnomePlatform. QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME is set by default by I don’t know what to ‘gnome’. Didn’t change anything.
  • Option 2: removed qgnomeplatform and installed qt5-sytleplugins. Set QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME to ‘gtk2’, but no matter where I set this variable: /etc/environment and/or /etc/profile.d/qtfix.sh and/or ~/.zshenv (I don’t have a ~/.profile), it is always re initialised by I don’t know what to ‘gnome’. And the problem persists.

I’m out of idea…

Can you try the solutions in this wiki article?
https://discovery.endeavouros.com/applications/uniform-theme-and-fonts-for-qt-apps-in-gtk-environments/2021/05/

2 Likes

thx but that doesn’t work either. Seems no matter what I do, the variable QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME is always set to ‘gnome’…

Ok I think I figured it out:

• In fact, different applications use a wide range of QT version. Each QT version seems to require its own QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME variable. So it’s a mess of figuring out which QT version is used by which application & overriding the variable for that specific application (along with installing the corresponding plugin)…
  • Still don’t know what is overriding QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME when echoed from terminal but it’s not really a pb (which I find quite puzzling…), applications do follow the global system variable. So far in budgie, qgnomeplatfom seems useless.

on my last checking i left myself confused in away about this… it seems there is no general setup that will work on all DEs …

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/applications/uniform-theme-and-fonts-for-qt-apps-in-gtk-environments/2021/05/

The article needs help and is partly outdated! It seems with change on qt6 it needs some extra to set up for all qt applications. (10.01.2022)

1 Like

I think I may need to change the way I think about this matter. Instead of wanting a “Uniform theme” for all applications, which in hindsight seem pretty difficult to implement beyond “core” specific desktop related apps, I should be wanting to find for each application the native theme that best suit my taste. And keep the QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME stuff as a kind of hack for applications that doesn’t provide a suitable native theme. This line in the arch wiki seems to hint at this idea imho : These engines add some extra code in the process and it is arguable that this kind of a solution is not as elegant and optimal as using native styles.