Anyone suffer from command line salad?

I’ve started re-learning pacman commands (been 3 years), and backing up my yay commands while also working on some Debian based machines (for work and friends).
I have seen myself starting to use jargon, or command line salad by mixing suffixes from these environments.
Does this happen to others, or am I alone on this boat?

My last one was “sudo apt pacman -S get update” :frowning:

7 Likes

alone-in-the-boat

No Pacman shore in sight?

5 Likes

LOL! In that state of command line blindness, I’m not sure I would recognize it!

3 Likes

Sounds like a candidate for alias expansion! For example I have an update alias:
On Arch based = pacman -Syu
On Deb based = sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

This sort of thing covers most of my systems, but similar ‘sets’ of command can be ‘rosetta stoned’ as necessary for other distros. Keep the amount of thinking required down to a dull roar!

6 Likes

This is why I use aliases extensively.

I have a larger than normal .bashrc (220+ lines) … any commands I use even semi regularly are reduced to a 1-4 character aliases or parameterised bash functions.

3 Likes

Same here :partying_face:

1 Like

When I’m interacting with a Debian server at work, I always try to run pacman to my great and repeated disappointment.

5 Likes

Do you have the same .bashrc for all your systems? How do you construct your if [ Arch ] then blocks (if it is not a secret)?

Distro-specific aliases are almost essential these days unless you tend to stick to one type. My .bash_aliases file has been around for close to fifteen years and travels with me. It saves a world of pain in the long run.

2 Likes

I think you will find you get used it if you stick with it. At this point, at least for basic actions, I can move seamlessly between most of the major distros package managers. At the very least, pacman, dnf, zypper, apt, nix-env, xbps and eopkg.

It is harder if you are learning multiple distros at the same time but it will still untangle over time.

Trying to hide the differences in aliases is a crutch I think you will regret in the long run. It isn’t that aliases are bad, but in this case, it will hinder your learning process. Further, since the commands structures for each type of distro is so different, when you need to something more involved than updating the system or installing a single package, you will be more lost because you haven’t been learning the basics.

4 Likes

I don’t use a lot of different Distros, mostly Arch Based(Endeavour, Garuda, and Manjaro). But I do mix up commands lines as I’m stilling learning.

Matter of fact, I think I’m going to creating my own wiki for personal use.

1 Like

I have no idea what other people use, but mine are:

if [[ -f /usr/bin/pacman ]]; then

not real complex or obscure - sorry! :slightly_smiling_face:

(haven’t seen anything else with that name yet, though…)

1 Like

I see. So instead of checking the distribution you check the specific software that is installed. I was a little conserned that you can have for example both apt and pacman installed but now that I think about it, it sounds stupid.

Absolutely!

sudo apt get… backspace, backspace, backspace, backspace,

sudo -S pacman… backspace, backspace, backspace, backspace,

sudo rpm.... backspace, backspace, backspace, backspace,

sudo brew cask install zoom

Running Homebrew as root is extremely dangerous

DAMMIT!!!

1 Like

Not the same file, I pick and choose what is applicable for a given distro and system setup. Master copy is kept in my notes.

I don’t really use non Arch based distros much, other than installing and testing some out periodicaly.

My use of aliases is mainly because I don’t like typing. Any command I use semi regularly will be shortened to an alias sooner or later.

Strongly recommend Zim, it’s been great for doing just that.

3 Likes

You read my mind, I’m using Zim. Been using that for a couple of years. I have my wiki stored on Dropbox and use it between Windows and Linux.

4 Likes

I use pacapt on Ubuntu, which I aliased to pacman. No more confusion, pacman all the way. :joy:

Also, this wrapper probably removes a lot of the requirement for Pamac. Add pacapt, alias as apt, people can happily apt install if they want to.

2 Likes

Just as an alternative, TiddlyWiki is pretty cool. It’s a single HTML file, or you can run it as a user service.

One can create an alias apt=pamac and use apt install , apt remove and more

:smiley: