Anybody using kdeplasma-applets-ultimate-gmailfeed?

Hi out there.

I use(d) this plasmoid for about 4 months and suddenly a week ago it stopped working. It doesn’t check for new mails anymore. Checking manually or hovering the icon gives me a “Host requires authentication”.

I have an application password in google which is correct and hasn’t changed within the last months. When I enter the URL the plasmoid is using as well into my browser (mail.google.com/mail/feed/atom) with my user/app-password I get a result in the browser.Everything okay so far…

I tried reinstalling the plasmoid, wiped out old credentials from config and kwallet. I hoped the plasmoid would ask again for my credentials so I can provide them again… But no, the plasmoid just uses something stored in the depth of my config… (kwallet has been “cleared”, ~/.cache has been emptied, ~/-config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
has even been edited). I can’t get rid of the error.

I even looked at the plasmoid code but can’t really find the location where else stuff is being stored. Okay I’m no linux developer at all so I am lost here somehow.

My question to the community: Does anybody know how to really “reset” the plasmoid as if it never has been on my system OR can tell me how to solve the “Host requires authentication” error?

Source: https://github.com/Intika-KDE-Plasmoids/plasmoid-ultimate-gmail-feed.git

(I don’t want to configure thunderbird or kmail to get notified about new mails as I use the browser for this. But other gmail notifiers are either gnome stuff or are so vintage. ultimate-gmailfeed is the latest but from 2019 and the developer seems inactive.)

I am responding only because I hate to see a request with no response, I have been unable to find a solution or even a good work flow response to this. The dev seems to have abandonded this plasmoid. There are other options, such as browser notifications, but it seems this was the one and only plasmoid. Maybe someone else will see something else, wish you luck in your search.

Thanks for replying.

Currently I try to “workaround” it with a small python script preparing some command line output and combine this with the “command output” plasmoid.

So I can call my script once a minute and will get e. g. “x unread mails” as a string in my task bar. Not nice but may do the job until I know how to extend the python to sit in systembar with an icon.

If of interest I will publish the snippet when it does something reasonable :wink:

2 Likes

There you go, just take over the original devs intent, and make it yours, share with the community and everyone is better.

2 Likes

If I knew anything about plasmoid coding it would be much better. Some python scripting is all I know in the Linux world. But I’ll share anything that might help :wink: sure…

I can understand that, a little bash and ansible is what I am comfortable with. Sometimes though if it works for you, it very well might work for someone else.

1 Like

As with all plasmoids/widgets/themes always check if the development is active, can save a lot of hassles

I just got my little script working. So if of use for anybody out there I’d be happy :wink:

2 Likes

I no longer have the email, but Google put out a notification about a month ago that they were going to restrict Gmail access when using some third party programs. For example, any version of MS Outlook before 2019 will no longer be able to manage Gmail. I did not see this plasmid mentioned, but could that be what is happening?

Edit: You posted that you got it to work just as I made my post. Feel free to ignore it.

Yea, I read that google will no longer allow 3rd party programs to access the account with “real” password. You’ll now need to set up an application password.

The plasmoid obviously accesses the atom feed the sam eway as my little python script. I provide an app password there. I have no clue what stops the plasmoid from working correctly.

This python is a good start to improve python skills and add a tray icon instead of cli output… Let pray for some rainy days in summer :slight_smile:

1 Like