Another Wayland VS. X đź‘€ Thread

giphy-879549030

3 Likes

Linux moving forward to Immutable distros is far more nauseating, frustrating, scary, cheap, stupid, and not-at-all-thought out than this.
Wayl/X is small potatoes compared to this awful course.
2 cents

editing to say I did read your article. this is what Fedora does and can afford to do, it would not shock me if they offered an X11 Gnome as well (developed by who would be the question) but RHEL is a nation-state like Lichtenstein or Rome.
Don’t think the meaningless chant got by me either, in this article, of wayland devs: “If not now, then when?”
they’ve never tried to hide it was a transition for the sake of transition.
not my fight though.

if the Gnome stack and all the wonderful things gnome does and innovations it offers (even as a base for budgie, cinnamon, etc) is not fundamentally changed…then I still got no horse.

when I got into linux I was riveted and read a couple years by the systemd/init debate where both were satan and both saviors depending on POV…I’ve run both. As a moron, I can’t tell the difference.
Hat tip to inits for speed but hat tips to systemd for pinpoint service control.

real short non-waxing readable version: it all comes out in the wash?

3 Likes

Wayland needs to be baked for another year, but if fedora drops X and embraces Wayland things will likely happen quickly. When released in April, I’ll buy a case a beer and pull up my chair to the screen for the show.

3 Likes

Most people that use Fedora seem to already be using Wayland. X11 will become a “legacy thing for advanced users” I guess.

Wayland is not ready, this push is too premature.

Systems like Silverblue, VanillaOS, MicroOS, etc? Yeah, not a good trend to push these as the future. I’m pretty sure they are also imperative systems.

Declarative/functional systems like NixOS? Best operating system design concept I have ever seen, but it’s not for everyone’s taste still.

Imperative immutable systems are immutable-first, and need to restrict your user freedom and power for their design to work I assume.
Declarative systems have expression-based system administration first in mind and immutability is just a side effect (pun intended), but the declarative nature lets you keep full control and power alongside unique capabilities.

2 Likes

if I was smart enough to get my printer/scanner/peripherals recognized (evidently I was not) I would have stayed with the highly secure spartan Alpine OS. It’s between LFS and Nix–it’s own package manager etc. Nix oversees their repo too, and innovative.
My distro vanished at the beginning of year (it came back) so I auditioned dozens until Endeavour. Couldn’t get the NIX iso on bare metal (I don’t VM, I freestyle installs :grinning:) so passed. I was curious though.
MODS: sorry to digress

Following the suckless philosophy, Fedora will drop X11… :rofl: :rofl:

You’re right, Nix OS is a beautiful system. Systems like Vanilla OS though? No, I think that immutable distros are solutions looking for problems

1 Like

“We’ll curate a couple base packages but then you’re on your own after that.”
flatpak search firefox…

Rest in Pieces Fedora KDE user, now they can no longer play Baldur’s Gate 2 (2000) in stretched 4:3 800x600 resolution. Literally unusable.

Joke aside, It’s good that Fedora and Gnome team to push wayland, it is gonna be Gnome Shell 3.0 “fight” again, many will screaming and clinging to X11, but we have to move forward with Wayland and stop using X11.

The push is premature, because it never will be “mature” because people (and more importantly big corpo’s software) still clinging to use X11.

We need to rip the bandaids now, and it will be painful.

just my 2 dabloons.

1 Like

Seems more and more inevitable. Been running Wayland for a bit now in anticipation of that and it’s OK for my needs. Hopefully, development will accelerate as it becomes the standard.

:maté:

This is really cool

I also have heard Wayland uses less power and CPU (benchmarks tested on kde and gnome). I really just need Wayland to be good for screen tearing and screen RGB balance and then I can finally switch, but i know at least the RGB balance functionality will take a really long time to make it to desktops.

Hopefully with more and more teams working on it, it will perhaps cover most of use cases for majority of users in not so a distant future.

Personally, I have been using GNOME-Wayland for some time with no issues. But my use case is far from those of superusers and my setups are quite simple :blush:

2 Likes

The Future Is Now! :wink:

24.10 and Beyond: Wayland and Qt 6

Our goal is to completely switch Lubuntu to Wayland and Qt 6 by the release of 24.10. This may seem like a large task, but LXQt has been working on Wayland support upstream for some time now, and the porting process from Qt 5 to Qt 6 is designed to be incredibly simple. That being said, you can expect 24.10 to be slightly rough around the edges. We expect these transitions to be fairly seamless compared to past ones, with the end goal being complete feature parity, but there are always unknowns when making significant shifts like this. It will be swift, and early 24.10 Alpha ISOs may be unusable.

Wayland has been default in Ubuntu Desktop since 22.04 for most systems, and Red Hat will be removing support for X11 entirely in its next release. That being said, unless the Ubuntu Archive Administrators move to remove X11 entirely before this point, we will be supporting the X session as an opt-in choice through 26.04 LTS, at minimum. At this point, we will evaluate any remaining issues, and make a followup decision.

We have one primary objective to meet before 26.04 LTS: make it so seamless that the user does not have to worry about it. This may mean providing an optional Wayland session for 24.04 LTS, just to “get the ball rolling,” but we are unsure exactly what this looks like yet. It will be optional for 24.04 LTS but default for 24.10.

source: https://lubuntu.me/noble-alpha-featureset/

x

2 Likes

x

2 Likes

There’s no serious engagement anymore. We need something new, something fresh. Pipewire had the potential but failed devastatingly in providing us year long drama. What’s next?!

Although i still have issues with Wayland on Nvidia I am using it fully on my amd machines and even on Cinnamon desktop which is experimental. Hard to use on Nvidia when it only has the mouse cursor on the screen that is movable but no desktop showing. It was working until recently. :thinking:

pattern-lxqt

x

2 Likes

Cool! I’ve been using Wayland on Cinnamon on a laptop with Ryzen 4700U and amdgpu. It’s only experimental but working okay.

Edit: Later in 2024 Budgie should be working on Wayland also.

1 Like