Amazon Kindle Anybody?

I’m probably going to buy Onxy Boox Max Lumi 2, next month or in January. I really want it, mostly as a sheet music display, but also for reading books in bed.

The downside of it is that it’s an Android device, so there’s a lot of 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊𝖑𝖞 𝖕𝖗𝖔𝖕𝖗𝖎𝖊𝖙𝖆𝖗𝖞 :ox: :poop: on it. Apparently, it’s quite easy to root it and do a proper network filtering on it, and since it’s an e-reader and notepad, I don’t expect to connect it to a network that much.

2 Likes

That’s not good news!
I do not know if it is possible to have a software that somehow “converts” LED/LCD tablet screens to “look” similar to eink screens.
I know LED means Light Emitting Diode (I am not an engineer), but thinking perhaps there is a way to let the LED take the colour but not emit light or emit the least possible if technically it should be emitting light.

I know I might be dreaming. But as far as I know all inventions came mainly from “a dream” or a hope.

This sounds really interesting.
But running Linux like what? Can you add software to it somehow? e.g. Can you somehow install Chromium browser or a note taking app?
Is it worth it to try or still have the unresponsiveness issue?

Like just plain linux kernel with kobo software installed. You can install software you build for it. AFAIK most people use QT for the kobo apps they make. You can enable ssh and run commands in a terminal on it and all sorts of stuff like tweaking your e readers ext4 options,etc.

Running chromium would take some work, its possible but wouldn’t be easy but it has a built in browser. You can check out apps others have made. It should have a built in note app and is one of the best stylus based e readers AFAIK. I have the Forma so I only run a couple of alternative reader apps that use QT and have some custom udev rules, but the OS is directly accessible on usb plugin. You can browse it, make changes,etc.

EDIT: I went and double checked, the entire OS isnt easily visable on usb, some would require SSH or telnet for you to browse but you can tinker with it a decent amount on default.

I see it needs a techie to do this. Not just the average Joe.
Is there a software/market built in the Kobo (like Google Play)?

no, kobo mostly deals in books and that is their focus. They dont stop you from building your own apps/software for it but if you want additional stuff there are forums. Its pretty niche but i love how simple Kobo made it to access the device and do what you want with it, and it helps they mostly use just plain linux and not some crazy custom solution.

This is the kobo development forums

on the linux reddit someone even made an alternative linux install for their kobo
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/mcv5fi/i_made_a_new_os_for_my_kobo_ereader/

2 Likes

I wouldn’t go that far lol, if you have a reader already that works no reason to return. Just keep kobo in mind for the future. Their devices are top notch and I like their book selection. I just wish they had their subscription service in the States.

1 Like

You just gave me the right nudge.

Definitely it is. I will check the websites you gave above.
My next will be Kobo for sure.
Thanks a lot @Echoa for all the info and links you gave me. Really increidbly valuable.

I don’t think this is the right place for a discussion of the relative merits of IP rights and/or piracy so I have moved those posts.

I would appreciate it if we could try to stay away from that topic going forward.

You are right. But anyway I am glad it was raised (especially the first website I removed).
I want to stay “clean” and “pure” as much as I can.

Remarkable 2 and Boox note air seem to be interesting options for annotating PDFs, note taking and reading ebooks. But they are large!

1 Like

Please give us a review/feedback. Interested in this!

1 Like

Amazing. I am watching the video now.

1 Like

I think they might be overkill to just read ebooks, but to take notes could be an option but more pricey.

For me, the size is perfect, you can read PDF as is directly.
Taking notes this is a great plus. I do some “research” myself and need to take notes. On laptop I am using CherryTree currently. But I got tired from reading all time I am awake from a laptop screen or iPad.

Supernote and Onyx Boox are both Chinese which leaves me iffy on their software though. I honestly dont know much about Remarkable, but i hesitate on anything running software i either cant look much into or cant sandbox/segregate from the rest of the system. The hardware is solid enough on these but unless you can change their software situation i keep healthy suspicion.

1 Like

I had a quick look at their website
I read somewhere their OS is Linux.
Looks interesting,

10.3" is too small for me. I want an ebook reader so big that when people see me with it, they say: this guy must be compensating for something! :sweat_smile:

But seriously, I want to read sheet music from it while I play, so it should be approximately A4 size – ideally over 14", but unfortunately, Max Lumi 2 is the biggest at 13.3". When I get it (if I do, but I probably will), I’ll do a review for you, sure :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Zircon34

Kobo supports annotations in PDFs ootb, I was checking out the Sage which is the second highest model, Elipsa is larger and includes the stylus

Kobo Sage works seamlessly with Kobo Stylus** (sold separately), to allow you to make handwritten notes in eBooks and PDFs***. Kobo Sage’s built-in notebook feature keeps all of your notes at hand and can convert your writing to clean text. The possibilities are limitless.

**Kobo Stylus sold separately, not included
***PDFs with digital rights management or permission limitations are not compatible with markups or annotations.

1 Like

(this is based on online reviews) I found that the supernote A5x and A6x have great software for pdf annotation, reading and note taking. It also works with kindle which is great because I use it for books. It also looks like this is a company that sets clear long term development road maps, so they are pretty transparent, there is no online or other account necessary to use it, it’s based on Android. They also seem to listen to customers to add features and apparently have great customer support.

Remarkable 2 is based on Linux, it is possible to also write and download some patches. The downside I guess is that it doesn’t work with kindle and they have some sort of subscription to sync things, although they recently announced they will step back from that now because users are angry of course. But the form factor and thinness looks great and it is easy to transfer and edit PDFs as well as taking notes. So I think it is a good device for PDFs but at 10inch perhaps small.

Going through hours of YouTube and online reviews (sick flue at home so time to do nothing), I got convinced that the supernote with android offers a great e ink tablet to take notes and read books. I also never thought I would go that route but think I am set for the smaller A6x to travel and take notes, get my life organized, I am a mess :rofl: If I like the overall e ink format, I think I will try to save up next year to get a 13 inch to read and annotate PDFs such as @Kresimir mentioned, the larger form factor is much better for this purpose. Perhaps also use external keyboard every so and then.

I am inclined to then look at remarkable 2, supernote AX5, or very large ones like papyrus or perhaps the Max Lumi 2.

E ink tablets seem to be niche but distraction free. I am not a big fan of ipads and Samsung but would be great to swap all the paper for smaller form factor. It’s easier for traveling.

Edit: forgot to add, remarkable and supernote have no front light. Boox do have front light.