AKM Window Display

I think the issue is related to resolution,

and window height locked (probably wrong term), so the buttons are hidden behind bottom bar for OP. Resize on the window only seems to allow left-right, but not top-bottom on my i3 and Gnome installs. On Gnome set to same resolution I can only see top of the buttons. The OP also has a bottom bar, so is not able to see buttons.

1 Like

We’ve had problems before with this resolution for eos-log-tool which was another gui app based on yad.
I think you changed the layout a little fix the issue for that @manuel

1 Like

That sounds about right, so I tried your suggestion.
All the available resolutions gave the same result.

It looks as if the highest resolution for your machine is probably the one in posted inxi, so the other available resolutions would have the same symptom/issue likely. The only workaround for the moment might be an extension that hides the top bar (mine is Hide Top Bar, there are others) when an app wants the same space and/or disable the bottom bar possibly until manuel works his magic.

Same thing with Hide Top Bar extension installed.
I did not see an extension to hide the bottom bar, and here is me thinking Gnome has an extension for everything.
Now the options are doown to waiting for Manuel to do his magic.
Thanks for your efforts :trophy:

1 Like

@manuel How would you classify this window display in AKM?
I would expect when any window content overflows, then it would be scrollable and draggable with two fingers on a touchpad.

So once the Welcome app is fixed, this should solve the AKM display issue?
Is this a bug?

Yad has its limitations. Basically you should be able to change the height and width of the window, and scroll the contents. But there are minimum limits.

File /etc/akm.conf has a configuration for the width, if that helps anything.
Also, if you are adventurous, you can try changing the height in file /usr/bin/akm, line 447, to see if that helps anything. Please let me know if any of these help.

2 Likes

The bottom bar shouldn’t be there at the first place without an extension.
I think it is called Windows List. Perhaps you have enabled it at some point?

1 Like

Line 447 in vim is “fi”

I bumped up --log-height 150 to 170, it didn’t change the window size, so I thought I would clarify that I am changing the right line.

Yes, I enable/disable it depending on my activity. On rare occasions I work on mouse-driven activities, and find it faster to click between apps on the bottom bar without taking my hand off the mouse.

That said, even when I turn it off, AKM still does not display the full window.
I will just wait for a solution, since I manually set zen as my default kernel now.

1 Like

Thanks for fixing the scroll @manuel
I can scroll the kernel list but it does display the buttons at the bottom, and that is with Window List extension disabled. Still, thanks for your efforts.

This is the line I was talking about, maybe your akm is not updated?

I see it updated this morning, thank you.
Given I have a max. 1366x768 resolution, which number would you suggest?
Here is 660

You can try some smaller value, e.g. 10-20% smaller (or maybe more?), depending on how much of the akm window is invisible. Testing some values should show what’s the best.

If it helps, please show the value here, as it may be of use to others with a similar display.

As a non-programmer: on the rare occasions my window doesn’t display its content, I just scroll down. But since it runs out of screen before the buttons display, resizing the windows only works horizontally. I can move the window, but the vertical resize does not move.

What about /etc/akm.conf ? Is there anything to add to give vertical resizing?

No. You can resize the window vertically, but there’s a limit how much you can do that. This is an internal limit of the yad tool and I don’t know any way to set it smaller.

A workaround to see the buttons is to drag the akm window with a mouse while pressing the Alt key.

This issue started to bug me, so I’m changing akm to be more suitable for displays with such low resolution like 1366x768.

akm will have a new option --small which makes the akm window smaller, and uses smaller fonts as well.

Also, file /etc/akm.conf will have a new setting for the same purpose:

AKM_PREFER_SMALL_WINDOW

which by default is “no” and can be set to “yes” with small displays.

I will release it hopefully today. Please test it and tell if it makes any difference. :sweat_smile:

akm

3 Likes

My laptop is from 2016. But since it’s still the #2 resolution, so your labor will not be in vain as there are still plenty of smaller resolution laptops being used. https://gs.statcounter.com/screen-resolution-stats

I will try it out immediately. And once again, thank you for your commitment to the community.

1 Like