Air Cooling Ryzen 9 5950X

How about those out there with Ryzen 9 5900x and 5950X. What is your cpu cooling method? Air cooling or Water. How about this set up? I have never used water cooling as of yet.

nh_d15_chromax_black_3_1_1

nh_d15_chromax_black_5_1

1 Like

I use one of these on my 5800x.

Noctua makes some very capable air coolers.

1 Like

Did you go the two fan or three?

Edit: On my 5800X i just used the stock AMD RGB air fan & heat sink.

1 Like

Its a 360 so three fans.

1 Like

When I compare cost, effectiveness, maintanance, possible failure mode, … then air cooling always wins. 140 mm fan or bigger and you won’t even hear it.
Water cooling makes sense for me only if you can replace stock radiators with some humongous radiators that you can place ourside the case for better cooling (mainframe solution, or this stupid laptop). As I see it water cooling is sold purely for “show effect” with transparent case.

The one you showed is 250W TDP so I think it should be more that enough.
There is probably only one consern and that is the sound of the fans. Noctua make pretty good coolers but some people complain that the fans are too loud. In my experience they are not but they create lower pitch hum which is more noticeable to some people. I actually like it. Still, my hard drives are the noisiest things in my case.

You may be interested in this. I found it as a review under Ryzen 9 5900X (translated).

CPU with NOCTUA NHD-15s (version with 1 fan) idle temperature 30,5 - 44,1 °C, under load: 65.4 °C 3D mark Time Spy , 63.3 °C Cinebench R15, Prime 95 57.8 °C after 15 minutes when all cores are between 4425mhz - 4550mhz.

3 Likes

I used to use giant air coolers in all my builds but I have been using AIO’s for quite some time now.

I don’t overclock so I rarely need peak cooling efficiency and they are so much easier to work with and have access inside your case.

Alternatively, when done right, full-on water cooling will crush most other consumer-reasonable cooling solutions but it is expensive, time consuming to install and requires ongoing maintenance. Unless you need ultimate cooling or noise efficiency I don’t see the point, unless you just enjoy it.

1 Like

This one is recommended for the Ryzen 5950X and a lot of I9 Intel processors and has a 6 year warranty. I think it would be good.

All air cooling for me. I use a fairly cheap, big, heavy CPU cooler, with two 120mm fans. I don’t come anywhere close to 95°C which is considered high for Ryzen 9 5900X. For me, it’s more like between 40°C at idle and 77°C with all 12 cores running at 100%. This is for summer temperatures, in winter, I expect this to be some 10°C lower. The two downsides of this method are: 1) the cooler is bulky and it’s difficult to do any maintenance in the PC. 2) It’s loud.

The latter is not a problem for me, since I keep my computer in another room. I run a display port cable, a USB cable, an audio cable, and a cable for the power switch through a thick, brick wall. The hole in the wall is some 5 cm (2") in diameter, and stuffed with acoustic foam (actually, dishwashing sponges). I don’t care how loud the fans in the computer are, I can’t hear anything from where I am. I run the case fans at full speed constantly but, I have the the quietest computer imaginable. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This one is fairly large having 2 140mm fans. I’m only looking it it right now as the 5950X dropped in price a bit. It’s $1000 Cdn here. Haven’t bought one yet but normal price is $1149 Cdn This air cooler is around $149.00 Cdn and is recommended.

A bit pricey for a cooler, but if you can afford it, I’m fairly sure it will be fine. Just make sure you have plenty of room for the RAM and the graphics card. Sometimes, these coolers can get a bit big.

I can also suggest this air cooler as I have used it before and still do on my 1800x. I added the optional 3rd 120mm fan.

https://www.newegg.com/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-bk022/p/13C-001F-00027?Description=bequiet&cm_re=bequiet--9SIA68V6YA3005--Product&quicklink=true

1 Like

I think these fans are 140MM so they are quite large.

Edit: I also looked at the be quiet dark rock pro 4 too. It’s 143.98 Cdn

Edit: The noctua say’s

Renowned Noctua quality backed up by 6-year manufacturer’s warranty, deluxe choice for Intel Core i9, i7, i5, i3 (e.g. 11900K, 11700K, 10900K, 10980XE) and AMD Ryzen (e.g. 5950X, 5900X, 5800X, 5600X)