After updating Gnome on 3-22-2024 no input or output device is detected. Sound available on login screen

I did an update (paru) of my sysetm this morning (3/22/2024) and I noticed:

  • Sound volume is controlable and you can hear from headphones when on login screen when moving volume up and down (you get the system sound level beeps.

  • But when you complete login (Wayland or X11) there is no input or output device detected in gnome settings or quick controls.

Gnome Sound Settings:


❯ inxi -b
  Host: mani Kernel: 6.8.1-zen1-1-zen arch: x86_64 bits: 64
  Desktop: GNOME v: 45.5 Distro: EndeavourOS
  Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product:v: ThinkPad T450
    serial: <superuser required>
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 19.1 Wh (97.4%) condition: 19.6/23.2 Wh (84.4%)
  Info: dual core Intel Core i5-5300U [MT MCP] speed (MHz): avg: 677
    min/max: 500/2900
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 5500 driver: i915 v: kernel
  Device-2: Chicony Integrated Camera driver: uvcvideo type: USB
  Display: x11 server: v: with: Xwayland v: 23.2.4 driver:
    X: loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa dri: iris gpu: i915 resolution:
    1: 1920x1200~60Hz 2: N/A
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 compat-v: 4.5 vendor: intel mesa v: 24.0.3-arch1.2
    renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 5500 (BDW GT2)
  Device-1: Intel Ethernet I218-LM driver: e1000e
  Device-2: Intel Wireless 7265 driver: iwlwifi


  1. I have tried booting with the LTS Kernel. Still no sound device detected.

  2. Used dracut-rebuild, just in case when the new 6.8.1 kernel broke something.

My audio is built into the laptop. So nothing fancy.

So I am trying to diagnose:

  1. Get a list of what changed in the update.

  2. Try to figure out why no sound devices detected.

1 Like

Well looks like I must have missed this error in the journals:

Mar 22 11:47:58 mani wireplumber[1952]: Failed to load configuration: The configuration file at '/home/rsruser/.config/wireplumber/wireplumber.conf' is likely an old WirePlumber 0.4 config and is not supported an>
Mar 22 11:47:58 mani systemd[1269]: wireplumber.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=78/CONFIG

The fix was to go to ~/.config/wireplumber and then I backed up the files and then deleted them. Rebooted the system and audio started working again.

I will have to go through the configuration files and find out if I tailored anything.


This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.