After deleting some EOS partitions, those OS remain on boot menu

Hi guys, so the instance ending in d579 and the instance that is version 6.2.9 have both had those partitions erased, yet they stay on this boot menu. If i try to boot them they just get stuck on the loading screen. How can i properly delete these ghost installs? Thanks!

1 Like

Run: sudo reinstall-kernels first. Reboot and see if those entries are gone.

If not, have a look into /efi/loader/entries and remove those .conf files related to these boot entries.

1 Like

How do delete these files in the terminal? it’s giving me an access denied on erasing through dolphin viewer.

:warning: First be careful to identify the correct files to remove.

sudo rm /efi/loader/entries/FILE

Replace FILE with the name of the file that you have carefully identified to remove.

1 Like

Looks like the version 6.2.9 is easy to spot, the other one the instance codes appear at the very beginning of the file name. Coast clear, worked like butter!

Final question on this topic, how can i rearrange the boot order menu? The top selection isn’t my daily driver and it autoboots in a few secs if I’m not quick to catch it. This isnt a bios bootloader thing, it auto loads into EOS menu and its that EOS boot menu that’s in question.

Rearranging… I don’t know.

But you can choose the loader to be default by choosing it in the boot menu and pressing d.

Also if you want to increase the time to stay in the boot screen, you can edit

/efi/loader/loader.conf

and change the value of: timeout

1 Like

Beautiful! Now 1 second is the sweet spot :wink: You da man

1 Like

I thought that was Shift D let me reboot and check.

Pudge

Actually, both work. d or Shift d

Pudge

1 Like

Looks like it’s not case sensitive :smile:

You can set the default in /efi/loader/loader.conf as well.
Perhaps that is a more “robust” way.

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter which case you choose, it isn’t a good solution either way. As soon the kernel updates it will break.

Instead you should set the default entry as described in the EOS wiki.

2 Likes

Right. I had second thoughts about it as well:

Also, is boootctl set-default equivalent to pressing d/D on the boot menu entry?

Probably but it might be possible to use wildcards there. I have never tested.

That being said, I think it is both cleaner and safer to edit the config file instead of writing EFI variables to the firmware.

2 Likes

You are right. I cannot not to agree.

1 Like

Good point, I also don’t think this statement isn’t true.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.