Advantages of PARU over YAY

They both work great. I use paru because I prefer the color coded and highly readable diffs for AUR packages.

alias yay=“paru -Syu” :grin:

Plus performance is much better with Rust as it uses the ownership model whereas Go has a garbage collector, slowing the entire program down.

I would honestly recommend pikaur because with both paru and yay you can’t type sudo paru -S <packagename> for a package that is inside the AUR, it won’t allow you to run it as root. And if there is a build then it will keep prompting you for a root password. Unless you use --sudoloop but honestly more typing so I might as well stick with pikaur, as you can type sudo pikaur -S <packagename>.

In many memory intensive programs you see this difference in performance. But in the discussion of Yay vs Paru, this is completely irrelevant. Both Yay and Paru are performant enough and suffer from the same bottlenecks that are not due to the memory allocation, so you can’t really see a difference in performance.

1 Like

That’s a bad idea, if you try to search for a package thinking you’re using yay -Ss package you will actually run paru -Syu -Ss package, which is almost certainly not what you want. If you must use an alias do it like this:

alias yay=paru

paru just on its own defaults to paru -Syu, just like yay, so this will create fewer problems. But there will still be some, because yay’s options are not fully identical to paru’s options. For example, yay -Yc won’t work, because paru -Yc means nothing, paru expects -c, etc…

I don’t like my computer lying to me, so I don’t use aliases like that. It’s a bit like drinking skimmed milk, and pretending I’m not actually drinking water and being lied to.

2 Likes

Yeah Yay is performant enough but why would they have the same bottlenecks?

I really like how fish handles this using abbreviations. Rather than “lying”, it expands them in place. So, typing yay and then space will automatically change it to paru.

1 Like

I don’t use yay. This was simply and example of how to make it easy to type. However correct I don’t believe you should do that with any package manager as you are correct things can get complicated. Actually I have several alias for several package management functions and believe the alias should be a description of what is going on for instance
to install packages I have the alias install and so on and so on.

I prefer to use pacman for packages from the default repos and the AUR helper for only AUR packages.

1 Like

You missed a word at the end of the sentence: collected
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Not sure if it was mentioned here before, but yay is way more active in terms of development…
(not that it really matters though)

I like both.
I use both.
The differences are mostly quite minor. Depending on how you use and what you do with them, you might find more useful differences.

You should try both, mess about and learn both configurations and look at them side by side doing the same job.

In some ways, yay has a nicer format - here you can see YAY has pretty green arrows :wink:

But paru does nicer diffs.

Also, my brain tells me that, because PARU is written using the mighty RUST and Yay is written with Go, paru should be better.

Also, if you check the activity - it would appear that YAY has more activity.

Does this just mean that it’s buggier? I haven’t noticed any differences, though the package search does vary slightly… so I’m quite likely to open both like this - side by side - when doing a quick search to see what’s available.

BTW for turning your monitor into an ebook, Arianna sucks, better go with Foliate :wink: it does crash a LOT but it’s still very nice.

1 Like

I am currently using yay because it came with EndevourOS. What are the minor differences?

In paru you type “paru” and in yay you type “yay” :laughing:

There really is no huge difference between then other than that.

1 Like

I switched from yay to aurutils yesterday, I ran into a package that refused to build and last time I ran Arch I was using aurutils to build AUR packages because it allowed you to build them in a clean chroot. This time the package that refused to build I was able to build, I also like aurutils better because it’s just a tool for the AUR and then it adds the built package to a local repo, after which you can install the package using pacman.

2 Likes