Advantages of PARU over YAY

If you install bat you get colourised diffs… I think? green = new, red = old, etc.

Maybe I am doing something wrong but that gave me syntax highlighting of the entire PKGBUILD, not a diff.

I just use yay because it’s already installed, works great and i don’t need anything else to compare it to.

4 Likes

both do what you need … pick poison you wnat :blush:

3 Likes

Ah. That was kind of what I meant.

I mean, it isn’t highlighting the differences, it is just typical syntax highlighting.

Ah… not as such. When you install the next version of a package, it will show removed code in red and and added code in green. It just shows you syntax highlighting on the first instance of installing something. I think it needs the previous version of the PKGBUILD cached in order to show you diffs.

1 Like

Hi, if you dont like the question then you can ignore it

if you don’t want to answer it instead of attacking them for asking the question in the first place. There are plenty of cases, especially on other forums, where people are shamed for asking a question that could be answered through documentation. The point I was making is that instead of insulting them for asking, it is better to ignore it if it bothers you.

This is quote from dalto on this forum

I am sorry if i hurt your feelings :pensive:

I did answer the question with a nice list with the differences.

What I meant that we have a search function in the site and there is almost the same kind of thread on t he forum already :slight_smile:

No need to attack other people

2 Likes

Been waiting for an update to an AUR package for a few days to show you this:

paru -Sua
:: Looking for AUR upgrades
:: Looking for devel upgrades
:: Resolving dependencies...
:: Calculating conflicts...
:: Calculating inner conflicts...

Aur (1) paru-bin-1.8.2-1

:: Proceed to review? [Y/n]: y

:: Downloading PKGBUILDs...
 (1/1) paru-bin-1.8.2-1                              [-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------]
 PKGBUILD | 6 +++---
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/PKGBUILD b/PKGBUILD
index 3ff2bf1..f96e50a 100644
--- a/PKGBUILD
+++ b/PKGBUILD
@@ -1,6 +1,6 @@
 # Maintainer: Morgan <morganamilo@archlinux.org>
 pkgname=paru-bin
-pkgver=1.8.1
+pkgver=1.8.2
 pkgrel=1
 pkgdesc='Feature packed AUR helper'
 url='https://github.com/morganamilo/paru'
@@ -13,8 +13,8 @@ depends=('git' 'pacman')
 optdepends=('asp: downloading repo pkgbuilds' 'bat: colored pkgbuild printing' 'devtools: build in chroot')
 conflicts=('paru')
 provides=('paru')
-sha256sums_x86_64=('519152ebb5dc545a700dd26547ccd4a47ef34cb29c46bbefae8c8346c756ff69')
-sha256sums_aarch64=('f176a4b917fb65394d7e63981d82912d4a176db4aeb7f9461ff97062f51ac120')
+sha256sums_x86_64=('d5fc88b23b09ffe6f1776458a10a1c2c741369aeabc9c6b4b6d74c2ed1471079')
+sha256sums_aarch64=('dc5fe327659089bdd398860e3d5947287b023bad4de324f8007a6e5309f189ff')

package() {
   cd "$srcdir/"

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]: 
6 Likes

So basically it shows the full PKGBUILD on new packages and then switches to a diff for updates?

If so, that would work for me.

Also…thanks for taking the time to show this!

4 Likes

Yes.

2 Likes

Yay is the perfect tool to install Paru. So it’s equivalent to IE vs Firefox/Chrome. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

is pacman not perfectly capable of installing paru? do you need yay?

Depends if you are using EndeavourOS which has paru in the repos or Arch which doesn’t. :innocent:

2 Likes
pacman -Sl endeavouros
endeavouros paru 1.10.0-1.1
endeavouros yay 11.1.2-1 [installed]

You can choose whatever
:hugs:

1 Like

Great thing this is not the Arch forum then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ya…you might get bash…ed! :rofl:

2 Likes

A few years ago when I was running Arch I was using aurutils for building AUR packages and then using pacman to install them from a local repo. However either yay or paru both seem fine, since this topic was created(a year ago) are there any reason now to choose one over the other?

I truly like yay and you only need to type yay as it defaults to yay -Syu. ( because I’m lazy )
On one OS I used baph for years now, must say it has been perfect and still ticking.