Adding endeavouros repo to vanilla arch

I’m trying to script the addition of the Endeavouros repo to vanilla Arch, and have the initial state working.

My question is about updates to the endeavouros-mirrorlist file that configures pacman.

How does my git repo detect an updated copy of the mirrorlist file and automatically update itself with the change.

I’m thinking that a pacman hook might be the best approach but don’t know that much about them. I see where the file doesn’t change that much, which is good, but it still needs to be accounted for in my script.

Thanks for reading.

1 Like

Why doesn’t it just start with EnOS? The installer is capable of doing what’s effectively a basic Arch install (pacstrap base etc.) but with the EnOS stuff already included.

1 Like

The endeavouros-mirrorlist is a package like any other. So it updates itself when you update the system.
Is this what you mean?

AFAIK, all you do is add the EndeavourOS repo to the /etc/pacman.conf - and then pacman -S any of the pkgs you want from it. No tricks needed (and I have EnOS added to 2 Arch builds so far - I find I miss some of the goodies!)

I would suggest you have a look at the pkgs available, and try out the ones that might help you - this can include pacman hooks, theming stuff, and useful utilities like eos-pacdiff and eos-shifttime and RunInTerminal etc etc…

1 Like

I dont always have control of where other people start.

Why would they convert Arch to EnOS? What’s the point if they already have a working installation?

this is a script running on an EndeavorOS box that needs to update a git repo with the updated mirrorlist file. I think pacman hooks for that package is the right way to address the issue, at the very least copy the mirrorlist.pacnew file to the repo and I can commit it when I get there.

I think you’ve missed the point. Maybe thats my fault. I’m working on a set of scripts for a project. The project is intended to be OS agnostic to the extent possible, so when some packages need to be installed, they may be from the arch aur, or they may be from a deb/ubuntu ppa. The arch branch of the project will check for yay and try to install it if required, but this is just easier if the arch box subscribes to the ENOS repo. I could script a manual install of yay with git, but this seemed like it was easier.

Yes, given there was zero context in the OP. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That would very likely upset a number of Arch users - you’d be adding the EnOS keyring to an Arch system and thereby providing root access.

There must be a better approach to this. If this is for a single piece of software that you’re trying to distribute via various channels then running an unofficial user repository would be better, then Arch users can add it if they want to.

4 Likes

So you have a program that has an install script and in order to install dependencies for that program, you want to convert the user’s vanilla Arch system into EndeavourOS. Am I understanding this right?

If so, that’s… well, utterly insane.

4 Likes

Ya,I don’t get it either.

Who goes thru the effort of installing Arch. . . To then need help adding a repo afterwards?

It’s gotta be a very small percentage of users this applies to.

1 Like

funny how life works, but i was musing today about the same - not because i have any intention of doing it but just a case of how could it be done, anyway, this popped up from last year and might add a little colour to the thinking! Adding Endeavour os repo on Arch Linux

1 Like

People are asking why you would do this. I can at least say why I’m researching this.

I want the EOS packages that help maintain arch linux, but I’m worried about EOS going inactive and I’m not sure what that would mean for my installation. So if I install vanilla Arch and then add the EOS packages that make it easier to maintain I’m taking extra effort up-front for more long-term ease, which seems like a fair trade-off.

And adding EOS packages now seems cleaner than somehow converting from EOS to Arch later.

Please correct me where I’m wrong.

1 Like

You’re wrong, welcome to the forum. :frog:

There is no difference between EndeavourOS and vanilla Arch with the endeavouros repo added. You get no benefit from installing it the Arch way and then adding the repo separately.

In both cases, if for some reason, EndeavourOS stopped getting maintenance, that would only mean that the packages from the endeavouros repo would stop updating. You would then manually remove that repo. Those packages that are in the AUR, like yay and downgrade you could continue to use from the AUR, the other packages you’d probably want to remove. You’d still have a fully functioning Arch Linux.

10 Likes

That seems like a bunch of extra work for limited benefit.

The difference between EOS and Arch is initial configuration plus the packages in the repo.

If you remove the repo and the packages that were in it from an EOS install, you will have a similar result to installing Arch, adding the repos and then removing them again.

Of course, feel free to do either way but given your stated purpose, I don’t think it makes much sense.

4 Likes

This is good news and good info, thanks. Pretty much finalizes My decision to use EndeavorOS.

2 Likes

Good decision and welcome @pattmayne to the good ship :enos:

1 Like

But eos is going to exist forever :wink: :innocent: because its such a great distro! And unbeatable community…

1 Like

The dead easy method is to build yay using chrootbuild - then run repo-add in the folder with the yay package to create a database with a distinct name.

Then host the result on a webservice somewhere.

The web service can be local using caddy - even python -m http.server -d ~/Public 8080 will do.

Then add the repo to your pacman.conf - it is even documented in the very file

[custom]
SigLevel = Optional TrustAll
Server = http://localhost:8080

But of course you can add endeavour os as well

[endeavouros]
SigLevel = Optional TrustAll
Server = https://mirror.alpix.eu/endeavouros/repo/$repo/$arch
2 Likes

I new here, but yes until now it is the nicest and friendliest community! Even “stupid” question are taken seriously.

2 Likes