Add or enable 'Keyring' or 'wallet' for xfce?

I would like to improve privacy/security a bit more.
When I had KDE desktop (if I remember correctly), on opening a browser I had to input another password, I felt I could use Opera/Firefox/Vivaldi to save passwords this way. I don’t have this now, is it a feature I can just enable or do I have install a ‘keyring’ or ‘wallet’?

Try KeePassXC, it’s wonderful. You need a Firefox plugin for it, too.

If you want to use a password manager for Xfce, gnome-keyring is also an alternative.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GNOME/Keyring

1 Like

I already use keepassxc, another user in the household finds it awkward and wants to use the browser for saving passwords.

Thanks, gnome-keyring with seahorse, looks good, and I can see and manage all other keys too.

1 Like

I’m glad your question was resolved. It is also worth adding that it is solved in the title of the topic.

If you open XFCE settings manager, in the Sessions & Startup section you can start Gnome utilities (I know this is not what it says, but I am at work and can’t remember) or KDE utilities daemons. This will automatically start gnome-keyring or KDE-Wallet and such stuff for you.

2 Likes

That’s useful to know, I’ve seen those options and wondered just what would be loaded, thanks for the explanation.

I’ve already explicitly installed gnome-keyring now on the one laptop in question, and it does what was wanted, an extra password before the browser will open.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.