"A stop job is running for..." message when turning off the PC

Hi friends. Several days ago I updated my EOS KDE (X11) (I usually update every 2-3 days), and since then, when I turn off my PC, this message appears:

“A stop job is running for…”, and a countdown of 120 seconds (if I remember correctly).

I don’t remember what the entire message says, but I know that at the end of the message, the number “1000” appeared.

So, I have to turn off the monitor, and wait for the PC to turn off. This started happening about 4-5 days ago if I remember correctly, after updating with “yay” from the terminal.

I always close all programs before turning off the PC, and I never got this message until after updating.

My pc is: i5-3470, gtx 1050 ti, 16gb ram.

(I don’t know much about Linux, but I’m learning little by little to solve these small unforeseen problems)

Thanks in advance for your help friends!

Post the journal logs for the affected boot.

$ journalctl -b 1 | eos-sendlog

Note: Go through the logs first before you post. Make sure you post the correct log. If it’s the correct log, you should be able to see the same message “A stop job is running for…” in it.

1 Like

Thanks friend, but in the 0x0.st log link everything appears dated March 10, and searching for “a stop job running” or any of these words does not give any results.

For some reason there are no more recent records, or am I doing something wrong?

I think that was the date I upgraded to KDE 6.0?

You have to change the argument passed to the -b flag to obtain previous logs.

You know what? It would be better if you just run this instead.

$ journalctl --since "1 week ago" | eos-sendlog
1 Like

Now today’s record does appear with that command. But it appears a little different.

I have restarted EOS and managed to write the sentence on a piece of paper, it is this:

A stop job is running for user manager for UID 1000 (1s/2 minutes to restart)

But in the registry this appears:

Mar 21 23:00:39 eos systemd[1]: Started User Manager for UID 1000.

There are a lot of log lines, should I paste them here or something?

EDIT:

mar 21 23:00:39 eos systemd[671]: Created slice User Application Slice.
mar 21 23:00:39 eos systemd[671]: Started EOS update notifier runs periodically, and optionally after each boot, or if missed..
mar 21 23:00:39 eos systemd[671]: Reached target Paths.
mar 21 23:00:39 eos systemd[671]: Reached target Timers.
mar 21 23:00:39 eos systemd[671]: Starting D-Bus User Message Bus Socket...
mar 21 23:00:39 eos systemd[671]: Listening on GnuPG network certificate management daemon.
mar 21 23:00:39 eos systemd[671]: Listening on GnuPG cryptographic agent and passphrase cache (access for web browsers).
mar 21 23:00:39 eos systemd[671]: Listening on GnuPG cryptographic agent and passphrase cache (restricted).
mar 21 23:00:39 eos systemd[671]: Listening on GnuPG cryptographic agent (ssh-agent emulation).
mar 21 23:00:39 eos systemd[671]: Listening on GnuPG cryptographic agent and passphrase cache.
mar 21 23:00:39 eos systemd[671]: Listening on GnuPG public key management service.
mar 21 23:00:39 eos systemd[671]: Listening on p11-kit server.
mar 21 23:00:39 eos systemd[671]: Listening on PipeWire PulseAudio.
mar 21 23:00:39 eos systemd[671]: Listening on PipeWire Multimedia System Sockets.
mar 21 23:00:39 eos systemd[671]: Listening on D-Bus User Message Bus Socket.
mar 21 23:00:39 eos systemd[671]: Reached target Sockets.
mar 21 23:00:39 eos systemd[671]: Reached target Basic System.
mar 21 23:00:39 eos systemd[1]: Started User Manager for UID 1000.

Just run this command and post the url here.

1 Like

Oh sorry, I didn’t understand, sure:

https://0x0.st/Xr0O.txt

1 Like

Did you check through the logs first before you posted them? Nothing in the logs you posted indicates a “A stop job is running for…” message during shutdown.

You obviously remembered wrongly because the one you posted has the logs since last week, and there are no occurences of the indicated message in there. So it couldn’t have been 4-5 days ago.

You should hunt down the message yourself by checking through the journal entries. Once you’ve found the message, post it here.

1 Like

The message appeared yesterday too, and every time I turn off the PC. Is it possible that the message is mar 22 15:16:00 eos systemd[1]: Started User Manager for UID 1000. and for some reason it appears differently in the log?

The original is: A stop job is running for user manager for UID 1000 (1s / 2 minutes)

(I’m sorry if what I’m saying sounds dumb, that’s the only thing that appears in the log) :sweat:

Is the message “… A stop job is running for User Manager for UID 1000”?

1 Like

On my monitor it appears like this: A stop job is running for user manager for UID 1000 (1s / 2 minutes)

But in the log it appears like: mar 22 15:16:00 eos systemd[1]: Started User Manager for UID 1000.

At least, I think so, because no other similar message appears in the log.

EDIT:

Sorry, I misread your comment, my English is bad. No, that message does not appear in the log, the other similar message appears in the log.

Those are two different entries. The first one is shown during the shutdown process. The second one is when you first boot into the system.

What is the output of

$ systemctl list-jobs

This occurred because a systemd job was still running when your computer was shutting down. The 2 minute time out is to give the system enough time to terminate the process gracefully before powering down your system.

1 Like
systemctl list-jobs
No jobs running.

and

sudo systemctl list-jobs
No jobs running.

A “job” in the context of systemd is the process where a systemd service / unit is changing state. For example, if you run something like systemctl stop pipewire.service (don’t run this, this is just an example), systemd will try to change the pipewiere.service from the “active” state to the “exited” state.

When you shut down your computer, systemd will obvious first attempt to stop all running services. This means that when you power down your system, there will be a bunch of jobs running (to change the state of the systemd services from “active” to “exited”). Systemd calls the process in which this change of state occurs a “job.”

My guess is that for your system, some services took a longer time to stop. That’s why you are seeing that “a stop job is running…” message. To diagnose the issue, you have to figure out which systemd service is taking a long time to stop.

The next time you see that message again, wait for your system to shutdown gracefully. Do not press the power button. Just wait for it to finish.

After that, boot up your system again and run journalctl -b 1. You should be able to see the message in the logs then.

1 Like

Thank you all for all your help friends!

Unfortunately my EOS was in very bad condition after the update from KDE 5.0 to 6.0, Wayland did not work and I had problems with the drivers, and x11 was very very slow since that update. Also, for some reason, two of my NTFS hard drives had become corrupted.

I installed my new EOS and everything was fixed. I know maybe I should have tried to fix all those errors myself, but it only took 5 minutes to install EOS and everything was fixed (plus I’m still a novice user and I took the easy way out this time).

Thanks again to all friends!

If the issue can be fixed after a reinstall, then it means there’s a fundamental problem in the way you previously used and/or configured your system.

Issues like this are also indicative of those problems. Did you often hard reboot your computer (pressing the power button/pulling the plug)?

1 Like

Now that you mention it, yes, I had to do it 2 times last week, my screen froze and I had to force restart with the reset button (I haven’t set up the magic key yet, which is similar to the task manager of windows 10).

Although the hard drives were not mounted, since EOS does not mount the disks when I turn on the PC. But that may have been it.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.