A random question about Linux distros

Hello! Long story short I have decided to start moving away from Manjaro Linux. I have also decided that while my computer will most likely move to EOS, I have a few other computers that are mostly used by people familiar with the commandline, but want something more stable. I was wondering if there is a distro out there that has a strong community and is

• More fixed release

• Uses a common package manager (apt, dnf, pacman)

• Has a newer version of KDE (5.18 maybe)

• Is beginner friendly

• Supports multiple DEs

If you could recommend me a good distro to install on the other computers, that’d be great! Thanks :slight_smile:

I think Linux Mint fits all the items on your list, apart from KDE. But you can install Plasma on Mint, too, it’s just not officially supported.

Their Debian Edition looks especially interesting, because it’s completely 'Buntu-free.

5 Likes

I was in much the same situation as you, and ended up with Debian.

With the Debian net install iso, you can do a base install rather easy, and then shape it to whatever you want, kinda like an Arch install.

You can’t do that with Mint, or many other Debian based distros. It used to be easy with the server Ubuntu install, but with the new 20 version, it is a dependency mess. Debian is so much easier to set up to your specifications, from ground up like Arch.

It is not as beginner friendly as Mint and Ubuntu, but if the person setting it up has some experience, it is rather easy to set it up to be user-friendly for less experienced other users.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t recommend anything Ubuntu based (apart from Mint, but if you can, choose Debian Edition of Mint) to anyone who is used to Arch. The shock of having so much bloat on our system might be too much for our fragile hearts.

Vanilla Debian is, obviously, better than any other Debian or 'Buntu-based distro. But it’s not the friendliest distro for newbies. Also, Sid is the only Debian worth using on a desktop or laptop pc, if you want fairly fresh software, and then you end up with a rolling distro (though it does not roll as fast as Arch).

7 Likes

What’s the chance you think of MX Linux upgrading their 5.14 plasma?

I have no idea really!

The thing I like about pure Debian, is that you can basically do it Arch-style, from the base install. There’s basically no need for derivatives then, you can shape Debian to be anything you like, from the ground up.

As long as you can live with some software being one version behind. There’s also always Flatpaks.

1 Like

Since they track Debian Stable, and Stable will be staying at 5.14, I doubt MX will upgrade their Plasma package on their own.

Debian Testing (and SID) are at Plasma 5.17; Sparky Linux is a nice little distro that tracks Debian Testing.

EDIT - well, it looks like Sparky doesn’t ship an ISO with KDE anymore; you’d have to do a minimal installation and then add Plasma yourself, which is probably not what you’re looking for - sorry.

3 Likes

Any ‘stable’ distro is going to inevitably have an old version of whatever software you’re using; in particular the desktop. Can’t really have both. So, that in mind there’s plenty of distros out there that are beginner friendly and support multiple desktops. Go for ubuntu mainly because of the ease of finding support online, but others include debian, suse and mint to name a few. Go to distrowatch and look at the top distros to get a feel for what’s out there.

5 Likes

So if I removed the multiple distros requirement, has anyone tried KDE neon? Is the community any good there?

KDE Neon is pretty bad, in my opinion. Very bloated and it’s all Cannonical “we take your privacy very seriously, now give us all your data” McSnapTM… You may as well just use Kubuntu in that case.

But try it in a VM and make your own judgement. Don’t take my opinion too seriously.

8 Likes

Since you are asking on behalf of others. The question is what are you comfortable with supporting?
That being said… what ever you can run stably will probably work.

1 Like

It’s based on ubuntu so can’t go too wrong really. I can’t say it’s got much of a community compared to other distros though so if that’s important to you I’d look elsewhere.

Specifically one of the computers had wifi issues which annoyed the heck out of me. Unfortunately it was a dual booting Mac so I couldn’t exactly just get a nice intel WiFi replacement…

Also considering that the driver we need for the card is WL, fedora might not be the best idea since I think fedora is strictly open source and getting any proprietary software requires extra repos to be manually added.

When I decided to drop my Mint Cinnamon desktop, I was toying with the idea of their Debian Edition - it seems they’re preparing for the time that Ubuntu’s base goes too far off the rails.

I think I used Mint for about 6 years - pretty good experience apart from the ppa issues. Moving to pacman and AUR impressed me, though, especially as something I’d expect many people to use - Plex Media Player - is so simple to install (with Mint I used a crippled appimage). In that respect, if you’re not an expert, then AUR is more noob friendly to install things not in official repos.

1 Like

Alternatively to the “top dogs” you may give PCLinuxOS a try, It is semi-rolling, therefore quite stable, has a good configuration panel (drak-tools) for convenience and uses apt for rpm as package manager with synaptic as backend. And since you’re living in the USA you won’t have issues with the localization.

2 Likes

Yeah, Mint is the only Buntu-based distro that does it right, in my opinion. I love their attitude towards snapd. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

There’s also obviously the potential that I could just install EOS on everything which I also may consider.

9 Likes

Hey, you’re a sly one! :smile:

1 Like

That would probably be the easiest thing to do, especially if the other computers you are supporting are nearby.

1 Like

I have my options now! Thanks everyone

• EOS at least for the computers I’m using and maintaining​:white_check_mark:

• KDE neon

• Kubuntu (Unfortunately Ubuntu will never focus on the KDE user experience)

• Attempting a custom Debian install

• KDE on mint (2 DEs basically)

• MX Linux (there is a chance they’ll be able to get KDE 5.18+ working according to forums)

• Fedora with KDE

Of course I’d love more opinions if anyone has more! Thanks for what you guys have come up with so far!