I just had a weird experience with AUR and I want to share it. Yesterday I tried to build the Brave browser from the AUR starting at about Noon. Just plain ol Brave 1.26.77-1. At 8PM that evening it was STILL building! I terminated the build and switched to the next AUR option “brave-bin”. This finished up in a few minutes. I’ve had slow-poke builds from the AUR before but this is a new personal record. I have adjusted the MAKEFLAGS and compression settings in my makepkg.conf file so maybe this won’t happen again. Am I complaining about nothing? Is an 8 hour browser build reasonable for the AUR? Just curious.
That is because someone else did the 8 hour plus build and then made the binary available.
In this case it looks like the maintainer “mixedcase” compiled it for the AUR.
When you build a web browser from source that is a massive build depending on your hardware and makepkg settings that will take a long time. 8 hours is pretty long though. Even my laptop can build most browsers in a couple of hours. I have never tried to build brave because you couldn’t pay me to run brave but 8 hours seems long unless your hardware is very slow or your makepkg.conf isn’t making good use of your cores.
Well, of course. brave-bin is just unpacking a binary. That is totally different than building it from source.
What is your CPU and how much RAM do you have?
It looks to me like the maintainer is just grabbing a prebuilt binary from brave and extracting it. I don’t think the maintainer is building anything which is normal for a
I just installed plain old brave 126.77-1 in 2 minutes?
Edit: Okay it was brave-bin. I picked the wrong one.
Edit2: I’m going to try again for curiosity!
Do you have any 3rd party repos enabled like chaotic-aur? There is no way you built a web browser in 2 minutes…
You are right i picked the wrong one so i started again @ 10:06 pm. I want to see how long it takes with my Ryzen 3800X and 32 GB memory
Edit: Done 28 Minutes! But nothing is installed?
Edit2: Not sure what happened? I thought it was done ?
You should’ve build ungoogled-chromium, that’d be my dream ^^
Last time I tried I think it took about 40 minutes to build ungoogled chromium on my machine.
First time i wanted to install it on the fresh endeavour of my friend old laptop (smthg like i3 1st gen 4go) i added the repo, ran yay w/ noconfirm… well, when we came back after hours of diner is how i learned how fat chromium was ^^ don’t even know how long it would have take, i aborted lol
What’s your machine @dalto ?
I guess that’s fast…
Edit: especially if nothing is there
Was it your initial build though?
Ya but something went wrong because it’s no where to be found.
It is getting a bit long in the tooth these days but it still serves my needs:
CPU: Info: 16-Core (2-Die) model: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X socket: SP3r2 bits: 64 type: MT MCP MCM arch: Zen+ family: 17 (23) model-id: 8 stepping: 2 microcode: 800820B cache: L1: 1.5 MiB L2: 8 MiB L3: 32 MiB flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 223552 Speed: 1763 MHz min/max: 2200/3500 MHz base/boost: 3500/4400 boost: enabled volts: 1.1 V ext-clock: 100 MHz Memory: RAM: total: 62.66 GiB used: 53.21 GiB (84.9%) Array-1: capacity: 512 GiB slots: 8 EC: None Device-1: DIMM 0 size: No Module Installed Device-2: DIMM 1 size: 16 GiB speed: 2133 MT/s Device-3: DIMM 0 size: No Module Installed Device-4: DIMM 1 size: 16 GiB speed: 2133 MT/s Device-5: DIMM 0 size: No Module Installed Device-6: DIMM 1 size: 16 GiB speed: 2133 MT/s Device-7: DIMM 0 size: No Module Installed Device-8: DIMM 1 size: 16 GiB speed: 2133 MT/s
Yes, that is a clean build.
I bet it does! Would most definitely serve mines!
Well it’s not working properly for whatever reason.
53gb ram used You power the whole locality with this?
It’s a new Lenovo IdeaPad with a Ryzen 5 - 3500U (6 cores) and 8GB RAM. I set my makeflags to 7 cores (was commented out) and my compression to 6 cores. I haven’t tried to compile anything big since the edit. I did build something smallish just to verify that I had not broken my makepkg.conf and it ran fine.
I suspect if you did it again it would be less than 2 hours. Maybe a lot less. I think my laptop was taking about 90 minutes to build ungoolged chromium and it is substantially less powerful that your machine.
Compression isn’t a significant amount of time compared to compiling a browser but it will help with all your other AUR builds.
Good info. Thanks for chiming in.
I never got it to build and install properly.
Edit: I also get impatient if it takes too long and give up on it.
Just keep in mind that with increased parallelism comes increased RAM requirement - it catches quite a few people out (e.g. builds will fail without any apparent reason and no useful error message) and then they blame the package maintainer.
You might struggle here - compiling Chromium-based browsers requires a lot of RAM.