5.16 kernel landed; LTS kernel version bumped

Thanks for the info; really appreciate it.

The 5.16 kernel just sits there and does not load the display manager on my rig. Just tried it again and the same. the 5.15-lts kernel runs fine, as long as I use the nvidia 495.44 drivers.

You can’t hold back the NVIDIA driver module if you update the kernel.

I think you got that wrong! Should be, btw i use EndeavourOS Gnome! :wink:

New upgrade to 5.16 today. STILL won’t boot, just stays there.

I have to go try my nvidia as i haven’t had any issues ever where it needs an lts kernel.

Edit: No issues

[ricklinux@eos-xfce ~]$ uname -a
Linux eos-xfce 5.16.1-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:39:23 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[ricklinux@eos-xfce ~]$ 

Which packages did you update, and are you holding back any packages (e.g. in IgnorePkg) ?

If you’d like to get this fixed it might be good to start a new thread with an appropriate level of detail (system components, recently installed/updated packages, …).

1 Like

I read this tweet about kernel 5.16 today, did anyone have to do a manual intervention when 5.16 landed?

Not me … :wink:

Well…according to his answer looks like it’s just a normal Arch update procedure stuff :laughing:

Gnome here, not me.

I answered him back :wink:

1 Like

No issues just had to resolve the pipewire-jack jack2 update.

Thank you for the feedback, I know now the “manual intervention” wasn’t related to the kernel update but with package updates from other packages.

Me too just today.

Just saw your reply. I have held back the nVidia 495.46 packages, since they prevent my DE from loading. Might that be it?

If you use the pre-compiled driver package (nvidia) yes. If you use the DKMS driver (nvidia-dkms) then probably not.

There was an earlier reply too, that I thought was explicit:

Let me know why that didn’t make sense so I can improve this for the future.

The nvidia-dkms packages are installed. I don’t know why, but the 495.46 drivers prevent my DE from loading.

Have you done any troubleshooting/investigation? (logs etc.)
Share a link to your topic.
If you haven’t, maybe you should start a topic for that, so others might help.

1 Like

I pre-agree. :grin:

4 Likes