0AD restarts my system when launched

I am using KDE plasma desktop on Endeavouros but every time I install 0AD (the game) and launch it my system reboots. Same thing happened with Manjaro . What is causing this?

Welcome @theo!
Not doing it for me, so it is not a 0ad problem most likely.
Some things you can check:

inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel CoffeeLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile / Max-Q] driver: nvidia v: 470.63.01 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: loaded: modesetting,nvidia resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.63.01 

^ my graphics adaptor; the thing that gets thumped most in a game like that.
And run 0ad from terminal, to see what is visible there before the system reboots.
After reboot, also run ‘journalctl -xe’, and find the entry where it tells you what 0ad did to the system to make it restart. You could also load another DE like xfce / cinnamon, and see if the same problem occurs there (I suspect so).

Subject: A start job for unit UNIT has finished successfully
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
░░
░░ A start job for unit UNIT has finished successfully.
░░
░░ The job identifier is 260.
Sep 04 08:21:04 Endeavour kwin_x11[2307]: qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWi>
Sep 04 08:21:04 Endeavour kwin_x11[2307]: qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDr>
Sep 04 08:21:26 Endeavour kded5[2303]: kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib/qt/p>
Sep 04 08:21:26 Endeavour kded5[2303]: kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib/qt/p>
Sep 04 08:21:36 Endeavour kwin_x11[2307]: qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWi>
Sep 04 08:21:36 Endeavour kwin_x11[2307]: qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDr>
Sep 04 08:21:41 Endeavour kwin_x11[2307]: qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWi>
Sep 04 08:21:41 Endeavour systemd[752]: Started Konsole - Terminal.
░░ Subject: A start job for unit UNIT has finished successfully
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
░░
░░ A start job for unit UNIT has finished successfully.

Ok. Here is the output from the journalctl -xe command. I see a lot of errors. But what does it mean? I am a distro hopper and on some other distros I had installed 0ad worked fine on this same laptop. Help please. I really like Endeavouros.

[theo@Endeavour ~]$ inxi -G
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: Realtek Lenovo EasyCamera type: USB driver: uvcvideo
Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.13 driver: loaded: intel
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: <missing: xdpyinfo>
Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing.

KDE activates as a default some of the implemented compiz features.

you should look at these settings and deactivate some or all of it and try again.

0AD is always in Alpha/Beta status and will always challenge your CPU to maximum!

read a book - listen to music or learn how to code, instead :laughing: :upside_down_face: :sunglasses:

no offence :innocent:

No, maybe I must just switch back to Elementary OS where the game worked and to hell with Endeavouros.

Well then… bye!

3 Likes

On thos point czn be everything. Opengl 2.1 3 or xrender… 0ad sure level up on the levels but issues can be everything. As distrohopper probably quickly have a reason to jump but can be a video issue

1 Like

It would seem that for some reason mesa is not installed.

yay mesa

should help.

With that attitude maybe. People are just trying to help. With patience you may learn something along the way and hopefully stay on eos if it fits what you are looking for and with the right expectations. This a friendly community, no need to escalate.

Do you have a hybrid graphics with nvidia? I can’t see the expected output, only intel.

From

to

in twelve hours?

one-more-hit

2 Likes

that_escalated_quickly

i close this topic further no feedback and probably end worse with no meaning i close :slight_smile:

if there something true it get a new topic for sure.

1 Like