Yubioath Desktop Authenticator

Yubioath Desktop stopped working after last few updates. I’m on Cinnamon Desktop and the application opens fine, but doesn’t recognize the yubico key when inserting into USB. I’ve tried to uninstall and reinstall the application, but same issue.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

try starting it in terminal, it should show messages that might give a hint on what is going wrong.

I don’t know If this helps here but there is a thread on the Arch Linux Forums: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=283879

1 Like

Yeah, I saw this and don’t want the aur version.
Thanks

So this is the output but not sure what it’s telling me.
Maybe someone can help me here.

[guido@EndeavourOS ~]$ yubioath-desktop
qrc:/qml/main.qml:305:5: QML Shortcut: Shortcut: Only binding to one of multiple key bindings associated with 7. Use 'sequences: [ <key> ]' to bind to all of them.
qrc:/qml/main.qml:297:5: QML Shortcut: Shortcut: Only binding to one of multiple key bindings associated with 9. Use 'sequences: [ <key> ]' to bind to all of them.
"PyOtherSide error: Traceback (most recent call last):\n\n  File \"qrc:///py/yubikey.py\", line 23, in <module>\n    from ykman.device import scan_devices, list_all_devices, connect_to_device, get_name, read_info\n\nImportError: cannot import name 'connect_to_device' from 'ykman.device' (/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ykman/device.py)\n"
Unhandled PyOtherSide error: Cannot import module: yubikey (Traceback (most recent call last):

File "qrc:///py/yubikey.py", line 23, in <module>
    from ykman.device import scan_devices, list_all_devices, connect_to_device, get_name, read_info

ImportError: cannot import name 'connect_to_device' from 'ykman.device' (/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ykman/device.py)
)
"PyOtherSide error: Traceback (most recent call last):\n\n  File \"<string>\", line 1, in <module>\n\nNameError: name 'yubikey' is not defined\n"
Unhandled PyOtherSide error: Function not found: 'yubikey.init' (Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<string>", line 1, in <module>

NameError: name 'yubikey' is not defined
)
"PyOtherSide error: Traceback (most recent call last):\n\n  File \"<string>\", line 1, in <module>\n\nNameError: name 'yubikey' is not defined\n"
Unhandled PyOtherSide error: Function not found: 'yubikey.controller.check_descriptors' (Traceback (most recent call last):

)
qml: TypeError: Cannot read property 'success' of undefined undefined
Unhandled PyOtherSide error: Function not found: 'yubikey.controller.is_win_non_admin' (Traceback (most recent call last):

)
qml: TypeError: Cannot read property 'winNonAdmin' of undefined undefined

Anyone?

Why?

1 Like

I’m just very cautious with AUR packages.

Look like you don’t have the python module. Did you try to installing it manually ?

pip install python-yubico

Why? AUR PGKBUILDS are the most transparent way of packaging software.

I also get that error and it is not solved by installing python-yubico.

That said, the Package in the Repo is severly outdated. When you look in the changelog, it was last updated by the real maintainer in 2021:

The other updates were maintainance updates that were done to all packages.

I would also suggest switching to the AUR package, the repo package appears dead.

More info:

I read you should always view the package for any malicious code. I not a programmer and might miss something.
Yes, you’re right about it being transparent, but as I mentioned above, that is the reason of me being cautious.
Or am I being over cautious?

Thanks for the info!

1 Like

Yeap, I’m thinking of doing that or just download the appimage from Ledger.
Thanks