Yet another Hello

Hello @Tasia91,
First and foremost…
welcome
I wouldn’t go as far as saying pamac breaks things but sometimes updating from within a GUI can get tricky. When updating I almost always use the following method.

!!!If you don’t have timeshift installed install it :grinning: Always make a timeshift backup of what you like on a separate drive (I usually just back up / )!!! This way if you hit a snag you can load up the live USB,install timeshift to it, and then restore your system.

1.Drop into a TTY3 (it takes you out of the GUI) if you need more information on what a TTY is I can explain more. So in my use case CTRL+ALT+F3.
2. sudo pacman -Syy Refreshes the repositories.
3.sudo pacman -Syu Updates the system.
4. systemctl reboot Reboots the system from within the TTY. Probably not needed but i do it anyway.
How you decide to do AUR updates is completely up to you and depends on the helper you have installed. yay is the default installed on EndeavourOS.

You may also like to have a look at this post @manuel made recently. It is a handy script to do updates.

Lasty, I am new to here as well and also a former manjaro user. If I have posted anything incorrectly please feel free (anyone) to correct me and i’ll edit the post.

2 Likes