Yet another Hello

Hi! I’ve been using EOS for about a week now and I really want to thank all the wonderful community behind it.
I’m a learning newbie, coming from Manjaro (before that I was just taking my first baby steps with Linux Mint). I was quite comfortable using it, but was curious about what other distributions have to offer. I had never tried anything as clean as this one, it even felt a bit weird having no bloat (especially in the comparison to Manjaro and Mint). I normally don’t need much in my daily usage and most of the packages I needed I already knew where to find, but having been used to pamac it’s a bit tough to discover new stuff. I often used pamac’s GUI when I wasn’t sure what exactly I need while being on Manjaro and pamac in the terminal (‘pamac search’/‘pamac search -a’) when I knew at least partially the name of the package. I know how to use pacman and I’ve been using it before to do updates (having heard a couple of times that pamac sometimes breaks stuff, not sure whether it’s true or not though). But yay was an absolutely new thing for me and a quite pleasant one, since I was a bit worried as to how I am going to deal with AUR (I can compile packages manually, but find it to be a bit messy way of managing them, before I was using pamac for that as well). So, I am getting used to things little by little, I’d only wish both pacman and yay were using a bit more intuitive syntax :confused:
Sorry if my rambling got too long, I actually just wanted to say hello and thank you for the great distro :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello @Tasia91,
First and foremost…
welcome
I wouldn’t go as far as saying pamac breaks things but sometimes updating from within a GUI can get tricky. When updating I almost always use the following method.

!!!If you don’t have timeshift installed install it :grinning: Always make a timeshift backup of what you like on a separate drive (I usually just back up / )!!! This way if you hit a snag you can load up the live USB,install timeshift to it, and then restore your system.

1.Drop into a TTY3 (it takes you out of the GUI) if you need more information on what a TTY is I can explain more. So in my use case CTRL+ALT+F3.
2. sudo pacman -Syy Refreshes the repositories.
3.sudo pacman -Syu Updates the system.
4. systemctl reboot Reboots the system from within the TTY. Probably not needed but i do it anyway.
How you decide to do AUR updates is completely up to you and depends on the helper you have installed. yay is the default installed on EndeavourOS.

You may also like to have a look at this post @manuel made recently. It is a handy script to do updates.

Lasty, I am new to here as well and also a former manjaro user. If I have posted anything incorrectly please feel free (anyone) to correct me and i’ll edit the post.

2 Likes

@BONK, thank you :smiley:
I have timeshift, I think it was preinstalled on Mint back when I was running it, that’s how I learned about it. Trying to take care of my backups since then :slight_smile:

I’m not afraid of terminal, I actually even prefer doing things there if there’s a good documentation, GUI can be more confusing at times. Always updating from there.

That I’ve never done. I thought in most cases linux does not need rebooting after updates…

Thanks a lot, I’ll definitely check it out!

1 Like

Welcome! You have found a great place to learn the ins and outs of an Arch-based system.

1 Like

@BassNinja, thank you, I hope so. I like that eos gives the user all the freedom and responsibility, encouraging them to learn and explore the system. I am really glad I’ve found it.