Xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default

[mantas@fat ~]$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] driver: nvidia v: 455.45.01
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: nvidia unloaded: modesetting
           resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 455.45.01

My GPU performance plummeted for some reason, so I did a normal reboot too and everything seems perfectly normal now.

1 Like

Sorry, I was talking with the wife. She just got home from work.

I am happy to see that everything is working as it should.

That is interesting. Well, it looks like it is fixed. What you just posted is what I like to see. The nvidia driver loaded properly.

This is because you were not using the nvidia driver, but the modesetting driver.

Don’t. The only way to learn is by doing. That is how I learned what I know. Just help others out when you can.

That is always a good thing. As long as I have been running Linux, I am learning something new about it every day/

Thank you for being patient with me as well when we were working things through.

Like I said earlier, I am happy we got it fixed, even if we do not know exactly what caused the issue. I am interested in figuring out the “how” and the “why” so I am going to keep looking into it and see if I can figure out what happened.

Make sure to mark the thread solved.

Happy Linuxing!

1 Like

I suspect it’s some core component of the system during the last update I did, as nothing Nvidia was touched. I usually just do a weekly yay so it can accumulate a lot of packages, which is probably not wise to do without any backups, since if something like this occurs, I’m stumped as to how I should pinpoint the issue and I can’t rollback to a working state. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I have the same update procedure. I only do my updates once a week.

It does not matter if you update a large amount of packages or a small amount, not having a backup is not a good idea. I do a manual backup before I run any updates. I use Timeshift from the AUR to do my backups. It is set-up to back up to an external USB drive.

You can find the readme for Timeshift here:

If you want to install it, in the terminal type:

sudo yay -S timeshift

1 Like

I’m happy with my system right now, so I wouldn’t want to start fresh atm – Timeshift is a good shout, I used it for as long as I used Mint. I was just kinda lazy to install it after I moved here, which is probably the biggest issue in this thread. :no_mouth:

1 Like

Ironically, I used it under Mint as well. I got lazy when I switched to Manjaro, and did not install it. BIG MISTAKE. Now that I am running Arch proper, I live and die by my Timeshift backups.

1 Like

Thank you very much for that.
Had the same exact issue as @Oziach. (got a 1060 6GB aswell)

Stuff is no working. I don’t really understand what the issue was but I am happy I could solve it.

3 Likes

Thanks for this solution. Was trying out stuff for hours before finding this.

1 Like