Xfce/i3 Welcome App keeps popping up

I installed & setup Endeavour Xfce/i3 and for some reason the welcome app keeps popping up after each reboot, even after i select “Don’t Show me anymore” & Firefox Auto launches with it. Not sure IF the 2 are related? Thanks!

Have you got a saved session that is reopening applications from some point in the past (or automatically saving running applications when you log out)?

Not that I’m aware of, on install i selected auto login other then that i have no saved session.

Edit: IF i removed it from Session and Startup under “Application Autostart” would that work? "Welcome (EndeavourOS Welcome Launcher)

Maybe. You are using xfce with the WM replaced by i3. I think you need to make an i3config edit. I have the same setup installed here so let me test it out.

# dex execute .desktop files
# keep in mind that it can cause issues 
# when second to i3 a DE is installed or mixed usage of i3 + xfce4 or GNOME
# in this cases better disable dex and use manual starting apps using xdg/autostart
#exec --no-startup-id dex -a -s /etc/xdg/autostart/:~/.config/autostart/
2 Likes

Yes. In session and startup, anything that is checked will startup. Maybe i3/xfce broke the welcome app dismissal GUI. Let me know if it fixes it, and I’ll add that to the tips & tricks.

I didn’t have that issue, BUT since I hate that thing, I may have unchecked that when I was doing the initial process adding in i3wm to session startup. I always do it, and knowing me, I probably did it at the same time when I killed off xfwm4.

1 Like

Ok I removed from Session and Startup under “Application Autostart” "Welcome (EndeavourOS Welcome Launcher), it worked now i just have to stop Firefox from auto launching.

1 Like

I will note this in tips & tricks that if you would like to “dismiss the welcome app” manual intervention would be required.

Thanks again for testing this! Since this isn’t really a sanctioned DE or directly put together this way, there’s bound to be nuances that come up.

2 Likes

Editing the config as above works as well. Afterwards when you tell welcome to not show anymore it will stop on the next reboot. probably on a log out log in as well.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.