Xfce and Budgie

Hello, i am switching to endeavouros. And i have few questions. I have Nvidia graphics card. It is stable?
And second questions I want to to have 2 DE Xfce and budgie. Are the compatible or i should stick with only Xfce?

1 Like

Welcome Aboard!

EndeavourOS is stable as any rolling release. You should be fine. Stick to one DE at a time as the nvidia drivers can be tricky.

2 Likes

Probably, but we we would need to know which card exactly to provide good information here.

It is possible to do this but unless you have a lot of experience, I don’t recommend installing two DEs. Whenever you install multiple DEs there will be minor collisions you need to work around. When you are switching distros and learning about the new distro you don’t also want to be dealing with minor DE conflicts.

My advice you be to pick one and if you want to add another do it at a later date.

1 Like

Thank you for quick answers. I have nvidia gtx1050 mobile. I asked because I run and I have some trouble.

OK, those hybrid optimus laptops can be a pain on Linux sometimes but I don’t see any reason it wouldn’t work.

After the install you will need to setup for your graphics config.

There are guides on how to do that here:

Hey there,
EndeavourOS has been stable so far for me. The latest NVIDIA drivers at the moment (460.67) are compatible with Kernel 5.11.x that currently ships with EndeavourOS, so far the only learning curve for me has been the pacman and yay package managers but the curve is not steep at all and you can master them in a few minutes.

Regarding desktop environments on NVIDIA, both XFCE and Budgie have been smooth in my own experience. The only desktop environment that wouldn’t get along very well with NVIDIA was KDE but that’s also supposed to be fixed when NVIDIA releases 470 driver version which is supposed to bring full Wayland support to Linux, then you can run KDE in Wayland on NVIDIA.

I wouldn’t install two DEs at the same time on a single setup, I’d recommend you partition your disk and have two separate installations of EndeavourOS each with a DE of your liking.

Have fun with your endeavour :wink:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing your experience.

nvidia works fine on KDE using x11. KDE’s wayland support is still considered experimental.

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Thanks for the warm welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

nvidia works fine on KDE using x11. KDE’s wayland support is still considered experimental.

Well it works “fine” until it doesn’t, you change a theme, toggle a few desktop effects or even sleep your machine then the Compositor crashes and then come the lags and choppy animations until you reboot and it all goes back to normal!

I tried Wayland on KDE 5.21 and surprisingly it was smoother than X11 despite being experimental! The only issue was that legacy apps reverting to XWayland (namely Firefox in my case) were too slow to bear, and rumor is NVIDIA is bringing XWayland acceleration in v470. So fingers crossed I’m waiting for that driver.

1 Like

Just for reference that is not a normal experience. kwin works pretty well with the proprietary nvidia drivers generally. I am not sure exactly was causing your issues there.

Just for reference that is not a normal experience. kwin works pretty well with the proprietary nvidia drivers generally. I am not sure exactly was causing your issues there.

Yeah wouldn’t call it normal at all, Googled around and found out I’m not the only with this. I guess with “Proprietary” drivers we’ll never solve the mystery. Hopefully future releases improve.