X.Org is alive!

I love wayland.

My Nvidia GPU that wouldn’t suspend properly on X11 now does so just about perfectly with the 470 drivers with Wayland.

Touchpad gestures out of the box are great.

1 Like

Currently there are a lot of desktops that don’t support Wayland. There is software that isn’t supported in Wayland even on desktops that are currently able to use it.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Xfce-4.18-Planning-Begins

https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/wayland_roadmap

Currently Xfce, Mate Cinnamon and a lot of other desktops and WM’s don’t support it. As i said Wayland isn’t there yet!

Xorg lives!

1 Like

@ricklinux
If I wanted to be a stickler, then i could just say Wayland is there, the DEs just aren’t. Gnome and KDE Plasma do have Wayland support for a while now while other DEs are pretty slow at adapting.

In the end Wayland is working just fine. New software with Wayland support works, DEs with Wayland support work and older stuff can still work through XWayland. The Wayland protocol is pretty solid already and it’s on the remaining DEs to catch up with the implementation.

That’s also the misconception in all of this. If people talk about Wayland not working, it’s usually not Wayland that is the problem, but rather the stuff that should be using it. Because Sway, Gnome and Plasma are the best example that Wayland is indeed working.

1 Like
2 Likes

I never said it didn’t work. It doesn’t work on everything and until it does. It’s just not there yet. I’ll stick with Xorg until it is. It’s not going to be tomorrow.

But maybe in a year =)

I’ll just say this final thing. Changing to Wayland really was an enormous improvement. Especially with my two 60 and 144 Hz monitors, which couldn’t handle different refresh rates in Xorg. Also my notebook runs a lot better with it. Also in general everything feels a little bit smoother.

Just try it once in a while, you may actually like it. No matter what you think about it now.

It won’t be a year and it won’t be many! It will be some … more. Maybe! :unamused:

lxqt are slowly removing ‘Xorg’ related code… is not they jump through it… altrough the plan is if go to wayland transition would be there to kwin… waybox was there but seems stops developing too :slight_smile: only problem for lxqt is the lxqt-session and some system packages rest can handle wayland commuity is moving to but slowly… xfce probably wil use libmutter, they are now in the thinking face but for xfce probably 2 version later as planned ;;;

Well honestly this isn’t Wayland’s fault. Saying “XFCE doesn’t support Wayland so Wayland isnt good enough yet” doesn’t reflect on Wayland at all but on the fact that the developers don’t prioritize it. That in particular is a poor argument and doesn’t really lend you any support.

This on the other hand is fair enough, there are things that don’t work in Wayland. Its been picking up steam in recent years so this may not always be true but ATM some stuff just doesn’t.

1 Like

Valve seems to be showing some interest in it. Lately it seems if Valve wants something they’re willing to throw money at it to improve it.

We may see a bit more “steam” :clown_face: in the Wayland trains engine lol

Did i ever say it wasn’t good enough? No … what i said is it’s not ready to take over. It’s not there yet. It doesn’t matter to me. That’s my opinion. No one is going to convince me otherwise. Use it if you like. It doesn’t bother me. I’m not until I don’t have a choice. I don’t have an issue with xorg. So if Wayland is the only option so be it. Right now it’s not the option for me.

ah wel it wil come in the future :slight_smile:
no bother about it :slight_smile:

in the mean time enjoy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not trying to convince you either way, I’m just picking apart a section of your argument that doesn’t hold water.

Its fair enough if you don’t want to use it or thing you use don’t work on it, Perfectly valid reasons. What’s silly is to blame Wayland for a specific DE not implementing it or stating our opinions as universal facts.

I get why you don’t want to, just encouraging you to pose your argument in a better fashion that’s harder to dismiss or dismantle. :slightly_smiling_face:

Just a question of how far off that future is and how stubborn Wayland devs will be :joy:

They have a bad habit of being rather stubborn on things

I take your point on this. Apple often releases things within their OS that 3rd-party devs struggle to adapt to immediately. It can get very messy until the issues are resolved. As you say, Wayland may be close to being ready while other things are not ready for it. It is still a long transition though, and not yet finished. I will pay it more attention than I have been giving it for sure. At the moment though I will continue to use Xorg on my primary machines, and perhaps test Wayland on a machine I reserve for testing. Hey, it’s a start! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

It’ll happen eventually right? :skull:

(Waiting for the year of Wayland)

5 Likes

Apple has the clout to say “we’re changing this and youre gonna like it” though lol

If you wanna be on MacOS (and for many companies you do) then better do what Apple says.

Very true. OS-X and then MacOS have gradually become more “closed-down” over the years. When I first moved to Linux-based distros in 2010 it felt like a breath of fresh air with the smell of freedom. My oldest MacBook still runs OS-X 10.6 and although it’s very dated and slow, still feels nicer than the newer versions that Apple has released. It doesn’t really stand up to modern competition though, but fair play to a 2006 laptop that is still running! Anyway, I’m getting a bit off-topic :grin:

It will come right after The Year of Desktop Linux:

the-year-of-linux-desktop

PS- those feet are huge! Were huge!

4 Likes

Perhaps that’s not a human skeleton at all, perhaps it’s Bigfoot! :crazy_face: :rofl:

3 Likes