Would it still work if I installed amdgpu the debian way?

According to Debian’s way to enable amdgpu:

https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo#Experimental_options

I just have to put this line in:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1"

Inside /etc/default/grub. Would this also work on Arch based systems?

It’s in the Arch wiki. Of course it does.

Edit:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AMDGPU#Load_amdgpu_driver

1 Like

Why not just install the mesa package?

this is only required if you have an AMD GPU that has only experimental amdgpu support. Those cards use the radeon driver per default instead. If you have a newer card, you don’t have to enable anything, mesa and the kernel do everything for you.

Please post the output of inxi -Gx of the relevant system so that we can help.

I don’t recommend the quiet and splash parts. Those remove the text output, which make it harder to tell if there is a problem. Of course journalctl exists but you don’t check it daily, meanwhile you can tell if, for example, an /etc/fstab entry with nofail failed to mount.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= only applies in default mode.
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= applies in recovery too.

BS86 said:

Please post the output of inxi -Gx of the relevant system so that we can help.

Please do that.

The OP asked a specific question? Can he add a kernel parameter on Arch the same as Debian. @unix_lover This is not about enabling amdgpu. This is about enabling support for older radeon graphics cards using amdgpu.

In the Arch wiki it asks me to edit /etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf

and add:

options amdgpu si_support=1
options amdgpu cik_support=1

and so on.

On Debian it only asks to add `:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1"

in /etc/default/grub

so I wanted to know if the debian version works as well on Arch?

Whats the difference between just enabling amdgpu vs installing mesa?

Will do right after installing endeavour.

Ah right got you now thanks

Yes, It’s just one way is adding a kernel parameter to the boot(grub command line) and the other way is adding it to /etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf file which causes it to load whatever you have inside the file on boot.

1 Like

There is no enabling amdgpu the way you are thinking. amdgpu is a kernel module. Mesa is a another package that gets installed and used by the graphics. Mesa Amber is another package that is different than mesa. It has an older build for older graphics hardware.

1 Like