Would appreciate any help with rtl8821ce

sudo modprobe -r 8821ce
[sudo] password for zzz:
sudo modprobe 8821ce

Seems like it accepts the command but there’s no feedback.

So the wireless doesn’t show anything if you click on the network icon? Is this xfce?

1 Like

I’m using KDE.

I am connected but it’s a very weak signal.

That’s how this whole thing started, I’m trying for it to use the rtl8821ce-dkms driver but I don’t know how.

When I blacklist RTW driver like above, then the internet stops.

What’s strange also is that when I remove the rtl8821ce dkms driver, the internet just keeps working, so I’m guessing it’s using some kind of different driver.

So it’s actually working? Where is the rtw_8821ce coming from? Did you install another package because i know there is that one.

1 Like

Yes it’s working but very weak signal.

This is the one that it keeps falling back to.

I can’t even move one room or the signal drops.

Can you remove that one?

Edit: Why did you install that one?

1 Like

@zzz
I see this is newer Realtek

What’s the prognosis here? The RTL8821ce is the chip and the rtl8821ce-dkms-git is the only module package and is the one that is supposed to work.

The rtw88 does have support for this chip. I guess you followed the instructions and built the package. Did it not work either?

Just had one working on the rtl8821ce-dkms-git on HP laptop using the zen kernel and zen headers.

It say’s the rtw88 has to be rebuilt for each kernel also.

1 Like

Sorry if I’m disturbing the flow of those already assisting, but you might want to try this:

Uninstall the Realtek Wifi drivers you have previously installed.

Install the linux-lts kernel & corresponding headers.

Reinstall the rtl8821ce-dkms-git driver on the linux-lts kernel.

2 Likes

@tbg
Thanks. I was waiting for the Cavalry to arrive. Since the rtw88 was a package created with makepkg how does one uninstall that? Or should i say remove it?

Edit: Or do you mean just removing the rtl8821ce-dkms-git package?

1 Like

Yes, this is what I was referring to.

The new rtw88 driver seems to have some growing pains. I think using an older kernel with the older driver might produce better results temporarily until the new driver is a tad less buggy.

However, there are driver options that could be tested to improve the signal strength with the rtw88 driver.

For a better explanation read Larry Finger’s notes on the rtw88 Github page:

3 Likes

Okay so he built this and is running with the 5.7 kernel. Is it only for lts as i read it say’s will work on any 4.19 kernel?

1 Like

I know the rtl8821ce-dkms-git driver was working on kernel 5.4 recently. So, I don’t think going all the way back to 4.19 is required.

I think if using the newer kernel then the modules will default to the included rtw88 modules. So, the blacklist would need to be used correctly and also possibly one or both of these driver options when using rtw_pci:

disable_msi 
disable_aspm

This is all rather confusing because everything has changed with the introduction of the new drivers for the new kernels.

2 Likes

Hi friends,

So sorry for making a second account but my other one had reached its daily post limit.

I felt terrible letting you guys without any updates, so I created this account.

I know this was probably overkill, but I couldn’t get rid of the rtw88 drivers for the life of me, especially not with my limited knowledge, so I did a fresh install of endeavouros and only installed rtl8821ce-dkms and now it works.

I literally can’t thank you all enough for helping me.

I’m so grateful. Thank you.

3 Likes

Sometimes that is just the easiest way to get rid of conflicting drivers (although I hesitate to recommend reinstalling)

Glad to hear you got things working, congrats. :clap:

2 Likes

If you made the rtw88 drivers with makepkg, you can remove it with:

sudo pacman -R rtw88-dkms-git
1 Like